Should I Or Should'nt I (MKIII content)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMG1

Reaction score
I'm undecided if I should send my MKIII head that a just got to Mesa for a check up.

I did talk to them about it when I called for other info and I'm aware of the cost. The cost does'nt bother me.

The amp sounds great. Really it sounds awsome. All the controls function properly has described in the manual.

The only thing is the fan is louder than my other Boogies but thats it.

Also thinking about the master volume mod for R2. I did'nt ask them about it because I was unaware until I saw a recent thread describing it. I assume they still do this.

I really love this amp.

Regarding the checkup and the R2 Mod, I would only let Mike B. Do them.

I have restored two noisy fans. They need to be totally de-dusted and then the the fan removed and cleaned. Finally, you have to remove the drum that turns the fan. It is held in by a two washers and a c clip. Remove the c-clip and pull the drum. Inspect it for dust and overall damage. If it looks allright and there are not shards of metal all over, smear dielectric grease on the shaft that it spins around and the entire exterior of the drum. I also put a little where the fan meets the top of the drum. Put it back together by dropping the drum on the shaft and replace the washers and c clip. Put the three screws back in the fan and then test it in a wall jack before putting it back in the amp. The dielectric grease not only act as a lubricant, but does conducts electricity as well. After this you should have a smooth and quiet fan for many more years. Just remember when you test it that the sticker side is up. The fan drum actually drops a few mm and rides on the washers and c clip. You should be able to tell that twenty years ago there was a green dielectric that probably dried up and has left the fan just grinding away for all these years. The results are fantastic. No pun intended.

The hardest part is getting the fan out of the head or combo with Mesa's three screw mounts.

I would send the amp back to Mike B as he is so good at what he does and he can very qucikly and with NO BS address anything that he feels is drifting out of spec or about to go. I took my IIC+ with me on my last visit to him (NERD ALERT) and man what a difference it made. Watching him at work was also a real treat!

If the cost is not an issue, it is well worth it. He is such a great guy and will be more than happy to give you guidance on what he can do.

BTW Boogiebabies - great fan tip. May need to "steal" that for the Boogie Files!! :p

BWK

I think I'm going to call Mesa tommorrow.

The main thing is I really want to use this amp. OK I'm not going on any world tours mind you. I just want to know I can use the amp without any fear of problems.

Boogiebabies description in another thread of caps blowing up got me thinking about this.

Well I've got my RA #. She's going in for a check up and a R-2 Master vol. mod.

I feel better now.

How is dielectric usually sold? In a spray can, a bottle? I have no idea, but would really like to do this procedure on my fan as well.

I did'nt get the stuff since I decided to send the amp to Boogie. They said to send the whole head so I told them about the fan.

Dielectric is a grease sold in tubes. Auto parts stores carry it to grease and water proof electrical connections. Sometimes call Silicone Dielectric Grease.

Latest posts

Back