Should I grab the .50 caliber

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highwaytohell

Reaction score
I recently found a .50 caliber head for 500, EL84s, no graphic eq. I was wondering if I should sell off my classic 30 for this (which also has el84s). Thing is, I'm more of a british tone guy, and mesas are notoriously american. How tight does it sound? Does it have recto flabbiness? Would the El84s make this one sound a bit different from other mesas?

Highwaytohell said:
I recently found a .50 caliber head for 500, EL84s, no graphic eq. I was wondering if I should sell off my classic 30 for this (which also has el84s). Thing is, I'm more of a british tone guy, and mesas are notoriously american. How tight does it sound? Does it have recto flabbiness? Would the El84s make this one sound a bit different from other mesas?

The .50 is a great amp if you have somewhere to turn it up, aggressive as hell. It's a ROCK amp, not like a recto at all.

Here's a youtube from a guy who's actually a decent player, most of the .50 youtubes are pretty weak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmxEYHiha4

This guy's got the EQ but it sounds tight as hell even in drop-C. He's playing pretty loud, though, and I find that most older Boogies actually tighten up when you play loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auFVojzhQeE

I definitely don't think you'd miss the Peavey, though.

if this is your thing - ELs and drop tuning ... the .50 is a winner. i prefer a 6L6 sound, and loved my .50 but it was a one trick pony. one tone at a time. as long as you want only one tone - do it.

think the graf EQ make this amp very interesting... pots are very "responsive"

but to be honest if you like the british tone forget about the caliber 50 :?
it's very aggressive, very cold (i like it a lot)... even if the overall sound is "mids" (you can change it with the graf EQ) the lead channel, the distortion is very "tight" (i don't know the exact word in english)... if i have to compare it with a jcm800, the caliber is more "metal", the jcm lead (boost) is more warm, more "rock" (i like it a lot as well)

it's very subjective... don't know if it helps... :?

Latest posts

Back