Should I, could I "ruin" my IIC+ with Re-verb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
So I just bought a IIC+ 60w with export, EQ, and EV ( an SGX ?) but no re-verb! I paid $2400 (high I know) just to keep everyone updated on the market.

My questions now are

1. Is it possible to add re-verb? The holes are the for the pot and the tube

2. How would this effect the value? would it's not being original make the amp worth less ( I would only do it if it could done by boogie) or would it add value?
I must say I would like to have re-verb but the thought of "destroying" this amp ( btw it is in near mint condition) makes me feel uneasy. Not to mention the cost of shipping from Amsterdam to Petaluma (I would remove the EV) with the X-tranny and any mod costs may make it a no brainer

All thoughts appriciated

Your man in Amsterdam
Rob

I had reverb added to my MkI last year. Mike did a great job with it. Just like yours, it had the holes for the pot and tube already in the chassis. With all that being said, it wasn't cheap, and my shipping was about $50 each way. If I were you, I would locate an external reverb and put it through the effects loop. I don't think the reverb option added to your amp will increase the value enough to offset your costs.

IMHO I can never ever think it's worth it;-)
First, the boogie reverb is not that quite good, so use the money to buy a decent outboard FX/reverb unit instead.
whether the amp will be increasing in value, you'll never know.

You got the EQ, which is most important.

regards
Tony

tony777 said:
First, the boogie reverb is not that quite good, so use the money to buy a decent outboard FX/reverb unit instead.

regards
Tony

For the record, it's not a "Boogie" reverb. The tanks are made by Accutronics which are about the best tanks in the business.

It would mainly be a point to point job and a major pain in the ***. You have to pull the whole preamp board to place one of the reverb jacks.
I personally like the C+ reverb, although they sometimes sound different from day to day, and from amp to amp but it really comes down to spending the money. It adds a nice wash to the clean tones and gives a little air to the overdrive. It's hard enough to find another non-Boogie head or combo with stupid gain and reverb, so I am pretty much addicted to using the reverb on all of my Marks. I feel incomplete playing bone dry.

CudBucket said:
For the record, it's not a "Boogie" reverb. The tanks are made by Accutronics which are about the best tanks in the business.
I know, I got the accutronics in my simul c+, and it's always at zero,
but if you think it's worth it, go ahead!

tony777 said:
CudBucket said:

In relation to a G-Major or a G-System, I would admit that a high quality digital unit is much more controllable, audible and consistent.

BTW,

Welcome ashore. :D

Boogiebabies said:
I personally like the C+ reverb, although they sometimes sound different from day to day, and from amp to amp but it really comes down to spending the money. It adds a nice wash to the clean tones and gives a little air to the overdrive. It's hard enough to find another non-Boogie head or combo with stupid gain and reverb, so I am pretty much addicted to using the reverb on all of my Marks. I feel incomplete playing bone dry.

+1. I think high reverb levels introduce too much "slop" in the Lead Channel, sacrificing the renowned focus and force. And the reverb with the Rhythm Channel sounds fine to me.

tony777 said:
CudBucket said:

Well, in this case, I'm not sure it is worth it, I was just pointing out that it would be no worse than your standard reverb tank. I just got a Studio Pre and the seller neglected to tell me the reverb tank had been pulled out. For the sake of having a complete circuit as it was designed, I ordered the replacement from Boogie and put it in. In my case however, it was only $32 plus shipping. :)

CudBucket said:
I just got a Studio Pre and the seller neglected to tell me the reverb tank had been pulled out. For the sake of having a complete circuit as it was designed, I ordered the replacement from Boogie and put it in. In my case however, it was only $32 plus shipping. :)
When it's plug and play, it's ok, but if you have to ship the amp to the states and have them mod the circuits, it will soon cost more than $32

but another question, do you have five 12ax7's in your amp?

The Accutronics tank is a high quality unit. The big picture is that it's still not a great sounding reverb, say, compared to many Fenders.

I agree that it isn't a good idea to spend a bunch of money to add a mediocre sounding reverb. You can buy a cheap unit like a Holy Grail and it will sound just as good.

but another question, do you have five 12ax7's in your amp?[/quote]

No, only 4
I think I'll call boogie just to see what it would cost just for a laugh

Anybody got an opinion as to how it would affect value positive or negative?

tony777 said:

regards
Tony

I think the Simulclass is better than the EQ (even though he doesn't have it.)

Dr Rob said:
but another question, do you have five 12ax7's in your amp?

No, only 4
I think I'll call boogie just to see what it would cost just for a laugh

Anybody got an opinion as to how it would affect value positive or negative?[/quote]

I don't see why it would affect the value in a negative way, especially if boogie is the ones putting it in. It'll be done right and if you ever sell it; you'll be able to list it "w/reverb" instead of none at all. Everyone here seems to like it. Tony is the 1/6 people who doesn't.

Use a Lexicon LXP-15 in the loop. It cost over $1,000 at the time and now you can buy it for $150. Besides, you can buy it in the USA (set for 117 V), you open the Lexicon chassis and you look for the jumper that connects either 110V or 220 V. You just move the jumper to the proper place and you have now a Lexicon set for 220 Volt.

You'd better place a sticker in the rear panel saying: BEWARE!!! SET FOR 220 VOLT!!!!

My little brother got it once, saw the US plug and used a transformer to download the voltage from 220 to 110 V to power up the machine that was already set for 220V. He burnt something inside that cost me $50 to fix.
Life is not fair!!!
Daniel

Not sure about what it would do for it's "market value"...but I know I would pay more for an amp if it had internal reverb. For me there is no substitute for an internal 'verb tank.

I too wonder what adding reverb (or EQ for that matter) at Boogie might do for a IIc+'s market value. On 1 hand it was done at the factory by Mr. B himself. On the other hand..it has been altered which leads me to believe the market would frown on it slightly.

I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons.
#1 - I wouldn't take the chance of damage occurring during shipping.
#2 - Expensive and not worth it in my opinion

If you really needed reverb, I would just buy an EH Holy Grail reverb pedal. They're pretty good, and certainly good enough IMO.

I have a c+ with reverb as well. Never used it once. If I need reverb onstage ill use racks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons.
#1 - I wouldn't take the chance of damage occurring during shipping.
#2 - Expensive and not worth it in my opinion

If you really needed reverb, I would just buy an EH Holy Grail reverb pedal. They're pretty good, and certainly good enough IMO.

Hey Jerseydew, I was thinking the same thing, just not worth the chance that it might be damaged. So the quetion now is...... which reverb?

I have seen a couple of votes for the holy grail, one for the G-system (TC has great stuff, I have experienced it as post effects) Expensive! and one vote for the lexicon ( again impressed with it as studio/track reverb)

Anybody else have an opinion?

Your man in Amsterdam
Rob

Dr. Rob,
if you want to use the Lexicon LXP-15, not only as a studio/track digital multieffect (where the mix is totally wet) but as a stage unit, you can do as below...

Set the mix control as:
- delay/reverb, plate, etc: 35%
- chorus/delay: 40%
- pitch/delay: 75%

Just as an example.
regards
Daniel

Latest posts

Back