should i change amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan

Reaction score
i have a Mark IIc (not +) short head, 100w, simul, reverb, eq. While it sounds pretty awesome, i often find it lacking in versitility. As many complain about, i can't really get it to sound great clean AND distorted. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a mark IV head instead which offers different settings for each channel. I mainly play stuff ranging from indie rock shoe-gazer type stuff (built to spill, pavement, radiohead, etc.), more rocky pop stuff (weezer, foo fighters) and also more classic stuff (led zep, pink floyd, etc..). the guitar sound that I would mainly be shooting for is the weezer/foo fighers/floyd realm rather than the shoe-gazer stuff since i can do that on just about anything. Do you guys think i would be happier with a markiv? There is not much opportunity at all to just go try one out, especially not at the volumes I usually play at, so i'm just looking for some opinions for now.

LOL :wink:
Or sell it to me!
The Mark IV has alot more tone squeezing options than the IIC, but....
The IIC is, on this board anyway, just a IIC+ in disguise.....
I have a feeling you don't need alot of options, just a great clean and a great lead.. The IIC (+) has them both.
If you're not happy with the inherent tone, then sell it an find something that makes you drool...No sense in beating around the bush here. You may be happier with a Fender amp and an awesome pedal for distorted tones...You'd be surprised just how great that sound can be...
I once tried a V-Twin through a Twin Reverb, and had ungodly cleans and awesome lead tone, and with the blues switch on the pedal, got some great crunch as well......
Lotsa options....
You really gotta find the CLEAN you like, if that's really important to you, then build on that.....
But, I'd stick with what you have myself......
ax. :twisted:

Send it to Mesa and have it upgraded for $ 400.00. It will be a totally different amp with a much better pallette of tones from medium to high gain. The difference between the IIC and the + is night and day.

You said a mouthful Boogiebabies...
It will only be an investment in your equipment...and, if for some un-godly reason, it still doen't give you a stiffy, you could then sell it for big $$ and get what you want....
I know there are guys reading this that are drooling at the opportunity to own your gear. Definitely give the mod some serious thought.... :wink:
ax. 8)

thanks a lot for the advice guys. I have thought about getting it modded to a IIc+ but it worries me a little. I don't play very much metal or super heavy stuff (other than when our drummer and I start going into the Trooper to bug the other guys in the band). I've heard the IIC+ is a much more specific sound and is great for that sort of thing but I'm not sure it's great for the other stuff I want to play. I know I might as well just do it if I'm thinking about selling the amp for something else anyway, but at this point I'm really just sniffing around and trying to think my options through. I'm not even really sure what a loaded IIC (no +) is worth without an upgrade, I only ever see IIC+'s on ebay. I might try to check out something in the DC line, or the F line and see if It suits my taste at all. Any more opinions are more than welcome.

You should buy my IIC+...seriously!

I don't play metal at all...I play Blues and Alternative Rock. It is a great amp I just simply don't use it as much as my modeling gear at the moment.

It is on eBay with NO RESERVE starting at $.01!!!!

Latest posts

Back