Should I buy a DC-3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larseko

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a second hand DC-3 for about $800 (that is, the corresponding amount in Norwegian currency - NOK). It's an hour driving from here, so I was wondering if you could tell me anything about it. As far as I have read here about it, it would suit my musical taste, but if you guys had anything to add, both about the nature of the beast and pitfalls/things to be aware of when buying, please enlighten me :)

First of all, let's get the background clear. I mostly play bluesy and metallic music with a LP and (custom made) PRS replica. This is all from Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan to AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Metallica etc. I'd like to play some jazz too, eventually, but I'm such a terrible guitarist at this stage. I have a Marshall JCM 900 dual reverb 100w combo now that is OK (I've modded it to give it a bit more bass and gain), but it's a bit harsh and cold in my ears. I think the distortion is the result of some IC's in the preamp in addition to the three 12ax7 tubes there as well. The amp is mostly used in my apartment, thus a bit too powerful, but I also use it when rehearsing with my band. I don't think we'll ever be good enough to gig.

So would the DC-3 be a good and versatile alternative to the JCM? It is a mid eighties-model, as far as I understood it, with a celestion vintage black shadow.

Thanks for any comments.

Lars Erik

I think you'll like it. You may need a pedal to push it into the really heavy metal tones but for the SRV to AC/DC it's all you could ever want. I loved mine I just couldn't justify keeping it after I got my Mark IV. If I ever have another $500-$600 laying around though I may get another. $800 seems high but maybe not where your from. I see them on e-bay all the time for $500 to $600 US.

mtnb1kr said:
I think you'll like it. You may need a pedal to push it into the really heavy metal tones but for the SRV to AC/DC it's all you could ever want. I loved mine I just couldn't justify keeping it after I got my Mark IV. If I ever have another $500-$600 laying around though I may get another. $800 seems high but maybe not where your from. I see them on e-bay all the time for $500 to $600 US.

I have built myself a MXR ZW-44 that I have used to push the JCM 900 into metal territory. Not a fuzz pedal, but it boosts the signal enough to push the amp a bit further. I guess this will work with the DC-3 too. But I think I read somewhere that the DC-3 could do most Metallica sounds on its own? That was maybe not quite true?

I just converted the price directly to dollars in my post. This is a little misleading, as the NOK is very strong compared to the dollar. With the general price level here I think it would be like $600 in the US, maybe a bit more. Anyway, I can't ebay it from the US, as I'd better have a 230V version. I could use some converter, but I would risk someone not knowing it and "borrowing" it in the rehersal room... then burning it :-|

fdesalvo said:
Are you guys nuts? The lead channel is identical to a Dual Rectifier! The DC-3 has GOBS of saturation!

I should have expanded on this. My friend has a MKIV. One day he wanted to hear the DC3 head on top of his EV loaded 1/2 back Mesa 4x12. So we removed the MKIV and threw the DC3 on top.

The clean channel though voiced the same, was chimier and throatier thanks to the EL84s. The Lead channel, on the other hand, was so fat, chunky, saturated, and harmonically rich.

I don't want to say the distortion was in stark contrast to the MKIV's, but the consensus was that it was just as aggressively voiced as the MKIV. In addition to all of this, the thump present during palm-muting was more intense.

Thanks for all your input, guys. I have decided to go for this amp if it works and is in good condition. I will drive away now to try it. Thank you very much. I will get back with my thoughts when I have tried it a bit!

Lars Erik

So I went and bought the amp. Sounding well and in excellent shape for an old amp like that (about 20 years), I picked it up with a great smile and drove the 80 miles back home. I've spent the Sunday fiddling with all the controls/equalizer and I'm impressed with all the tonal possibilities. I was a bit sceptical at first, since I'm not an experienced player and don't know much about the elements contributing to the sound, but now I see how this will be a very pleasant learning experience. I downloaded the manual from the Mesa Boogie website, and it contains a fairly understandable description of how the different controls colors the sound.

I have also tried the amp with the MXR ZW-44, and that worked nicely for getting it into a bit more noisy metal territory. I think I'll mostly use the amp with no effects, though, it just sounds so nice. As for the power, this amp has got plenty of it! Will easily replace my JCM900 :)

This amp oozes of quality. From the tolex, that looks almost as if new, to the chassis and that small pocket to put the pedal into. It just looks as if they spent whatever means neccessary to make a good amp, not saving on each little bit like certain other companies does. I haven't opened it up yet, but I have heard soldering/wiring in these amps is done very satisfactory and tidy.

Greetings from a happy first timer :)

Latest posts

Back