Shipping an Ace

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstefani

Reaction score
Once before I had posted my Ace for sale and bailed, then I had a buyer back out.

I've come to the conclusion that I need something smaller, so even though the Ace is a killer amp, right now I'd like to have the funds for a smaller amp for recording. Perhaps a new 5:25 express.

Here's my predicament:

I live in Boise, ID. Craigslist doesn't get much action here, and I really don't want to give a music store 20% for selling it for me.

I hear all the nightmares about shipping amps, how they get damaged and all.

The Ace weighs about 73lbs., if I have UPS pack it in a double box set up it's about $45.00, to ship the beast from here to SF in CA, is about $130.00, to New York it's about $150.00, shipping and handling will be around $175.00 to $200.00.

What do you think?

Have you shipped amps this heavy?

If I go single box, it will be much less since they charge by weight and size. But I'm sure it will be around $100 - $120.

Is a single box too big of a risk?

Curious.

Thanks,

- dstefani

Not sure who is qouting you. personaly I would get the box's yourself and do the packing, I have seen UPS Stores or UPS do some of the most horrific pack jobs. Save the buyer $45 by going to some sort of place that gets packages and get boxes and pack it yourself.

Now as to shipping costs, someone is qouting you way to high, on a package like that shipping should be at most $60 to $75 depending on which company you use. I find Fed Ex is always about 30% cheaper the UPS and does a better job at shipping it, easier to file claims and they usually handle the package better. USPS can be expensive too with an oversized package with that much weight, so i would defintly use fed ex.

I havent shipped DHL so i cant comment on them.

Example, about 4 years ago I sent a Roadking 2x12 combo TO CA and I live across the country in VA, it cost me about $45 back then, and that thing weighed over 100LBS, shipping costs have not gone up that much since then.

Best bet, pack it up, get the dimensions and weight, and goto www.fedex.com and use the get rate feature.

Shipping will be $$$$$$$. I just shipped an ACE it came out to 97lbs doubled boxed. As soon as you go over a certain size shipping increases dramatically. It cost me $109 to ship across the country insured.Which I boxed and dropped off at FEDEX myself. Fedex Ground doesnt deliver packages over 70lbs to residences. UPS now slams you with size to weight fees. The days of shipping combos for $50 is gone.

zewango said:
I just shipped an ACE it came out to 97lbs doubled boxed.

How much of a size difference did you have between the boxes?

What did you put between the boxes?

I was thinking that I'd put the casters and other stuff in a short box the same size as the amp box and put it on top inside the outside box, how did you pack the accessories?

I know, lots of questions, but I have no problem advertising the amp here, once I get the shipping straightened out in my mind. I think I'm over the "can't make up your mind about selling" hurdle, now once I get this straight, I'll be cool.

Thanks for all your help! :D

- dstefani

Best option - make friends with someone at your local mesa store and have them save the box and packaging from either a lonestar or ace for you. those guys chuck most of that stuff away anyway. i've shipped in original mesa packaging and that's the only way i would ship an amp or buy one. good luck.

dstefani said:
Once before I had posted my Ace for sale and bailed, then I had a buyer back out.

I've come to the conclusion that I need something smaller, so even though the Ace is a killer amp, right now I'd like to have the funds for a smaller amp for recording. Perhaps a new 5:25 express.

Here's my predicament:

I live in Boise, ID. Craigslist doesn't get much action here, and I really don't want to give a music store 20% for selling it for me.

I hear all the nightmares about shipping amps, how they get damaged and all.

The Ace weighs about 73lbs., if I have UPS pack it in a double box set up it's about $45.00, to ship the beast from here to SF in CA, is about $130.00, to New York it's about $150.00, shipping and handling will be around $175.00 to $200.00.

What do you think?

Have you shipped amps this heavy?

If I go single box, it will be much less since they charge by weight and size. But I'm sure it will be around $100 - $120.

Is a single box too big of a risk?

Curious.

Thanks,

- dstefani

I've shipped a few amps and the couple of times I couldn't use the original box I went to a mini-storage that sells moving boxes and got a large one with room to spare all around after the amp is inside.

I got some bubble wrap with the large bubbles and wrapped it around many times nice and thick. I also cut some cardboard and put it between the amp and box all around to mimic double boxing. I also think thick styrofoam sheets from a craft store would probably work well also. The amp is very heavy and you know they're going to plunk it down on the floor so make sure to really pad the bottom and top of the box.

I always use Fedex ground. They're substantially cheaper than UPS. If you have a Fedex/Kinko's around you can take it there. That's what I do.

Thanks SoCalSteve, yea there's a fedex kinkos here, this isn't total podunk, just not the SF Bay area where I left last year. ;-)

Thanks,

- dstefani

Back