Sharing Mark IIc+ mark IIIC+ settings for a good clean sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reeko81

Reaction score
Is anyone here who would like to share with me his setting with a IIC+ or IIIC+ to obtain a good first clean channel and a wailing lead drive too?

Using a humbucking guitar how good is your clean channel without compromise lead with these amps?

Do you find like me that the pull deep pot (as specified on mesa mark IIC+ manual) is like a slight gain boost and a bottom line booster?

As anyone in the end knows in this board i've modded my mark III, but i'm not really friendly with this new pull deep control.
Infact in my mark III before modding, pull deep didn't add much gain as now... Is it normal? I have to use now different settings so to obtain a full clean sound with a les paul for clean sounds?

This were my setting before mod:

VOLUME 7 pulled out
TREBLE 7 pulled out
BASS 3 pushed in
MIDDLE 5
MASTER 2 Pulled out
PRESENCE 6

now using the same settings if i use pull deep i obtain a slight crunch with my les paul, so i've to avoid this control for cleanest sound...but distortions are better with pull deep.... :(

Is it the same with your IIC+ or IIIC+ amps?

You must have changed cathode caps and added too much boost to the clean preamp. This also effects the R2 and Lead. As far as the Pull Deep, I would leave the values alone. In all of my MK's, they dont have a good clean tone with humbuckers. At best, I use a multiple amp setup where one is setup for clean and the other 2 or 3 are set to different high gain settings.

With single coils, even the shared settings on a MK II or III sound pretty awesome. They sound even better with a bit lower volume 1 settings.

i have a split switch on my humbucker that kills the crunchy sound and makes it really clean. look into getting a pull pot or something...PRS guitars have this, for example.

if you have a les paul, set the neck volume knob really low and use that for cleans.

Boogiebabies said:
You must have changed cathode caps and added too much boost to the clean preamp. This also effects the R2 and Lead. As far as the Pull Deep, I would leave the values alone. In all of my MK's, they dont have a good clean tone with humbuckers. At best, I use a multiple amp setup where one is setup for clean and the other 2 or 3 are set to different high gain settings.

With single coils, even the shared settings on a MK II or III sound pretty awesome. They sound even better with a bit lower volume 1 settings.

Cathode caps....i can't figure out where i change them....

Now that i remember i only changed or better added as on mark IIc+ schematic a 120 pf cap on V2, then raised to the right values the 3,3M one and its 20pf cap (on my mark were 2,2M and 10pf), then raised to the right value the 680K and its 47pf cap (they were 330k and 20pf). These are the only caps involved in my changes on pre.
There are no other mod in my pre clean channel, maybe i've only achieved that mark IIC+ clean channel. It's really more sparkly than before but i've noticed a more powerful pull deep control than in my Mrk III blue stripes.
Maybe it's just this kind of different pull deep function that doesn't convince me.

Back