Settings for Mark V Lead tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Just got my Mark V from my dealer yesterday...AWESOME AWESOME amp, and sounds killer through my Boogie vertical 2x12s.

I''d like to hear what your favorite settings are for the amp for lead/solo tones? Any pedals? Overdrive? Delay?

Thanks much for your help!

Eric

Channel 2, Mark I mode, thick. Settings are on the amp. I'm using the preset EQ as I find it produces a clearer/punchier sound than I seem to be able to dial in using the graphic EQ.

I generally use a compressor rather than an overdrive, but an overdrive works good too. I prefer the compressor because it leaves my low end intact while giving me a sustain boost without any additional gain buzz. With the right pickups it gives a really chunky rasp when soloing.

For high gain leads I find that bright digital delays work better than murky analog delays. It keeps the repeats from interfering with the fundamental note. I prefer to keep the delay on dotted 8th tempos so that the repeat drops between beats rather than on the beat as I find it keeps the repeats from interfering with the fundamental as well.

The Phase 90 and Flanger are added when I want some warbly modulation on my leads. I have the OD-808 on hand but I'm finding I don't really use it much after figuring out the compressor thing.

file-4.jpg

Congrats on the new amp, Eric! There are lots of lead tones in there to be found, but Mark I is definitely a great place to start. It has a thickness that cannot be beat for single notes. For high gain lead tones you'll most likely want to use Channel 3. I don't have any settings in mind right off, but I do prefer to keep the right two sliders below flat, bright switch, and treble/presence to taste. 750 slider is key! It is very sensitive so move it in very small increments up from the bottom line until the right amount of cut is achieved. Too much and it will sound honky.... too little and it will sound too scooped.

The only effect I run these days is a Flashback delay in the loop sitting atop my amp and I control it with the FX loop switch on the footswitch. 2290 mode is awesome!

I have tried ODs in the past and really don't find I need one to get the tones I want. Although, it is kind of cool to be able to double your tones by keeping the gain lower on all channels and using an OD to bump it up when needed.

Latest posts

Back