Setting up the IIC+ Mode to sound like an old IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
Who owns a Mark V and has owned or played a IIC+???

How would you set up the V to sound like a real IIC+?

Hendog said:

Which options on the C+? Here is a link that might help you out. The clean settings were acheived with the EQ OUT.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701

And the ultimate 3-channel Mark series amplifier(s).

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39718

You can read the manual and it will tell you how to fairly compare to an original markIIc+. But I do own a non-eq version (considered by Doug West to be the better C+), not to say the EQ versions are not as good, they are, its just a matter of taste. In all honesty, the V's c+ sounds great, but just not like my c+. Here is why: Tons of sustain on the original, and I mean endless, crazy sustain. The V I have to put so much gain, it defeats the purpose of sounding like an original. I believe all the circuits are as identical as can be, it just aint the same amp, but a modern version of a classic. It is like a 1959 replica les paul and an original, get the picture?

JOEY B. said:
Hendog said:

Which options on the C+? Here is a link that might help you out. The clean settings were acheived with the EQ OUT.

I read that guys thread. It is not much of a review.

rizboog said:
You can read the manual and it will tell you how to fairly compare to an original markIIc+. But I do own a non-eq version (considered by Doug West to be the better C+), not to say the EQ versions are not as good, they are, its just a matter of taste. In all honesty, the V's c+ sounds great, but just not like my c+. Here is why: Tons of sustain on the original, and I mean endless, crazy sustain. The V I have to put so much gain, it defeats the purpose of sounding like an original. I believe all the circuits are as identical as can be, it just aint the same amp, but a modern version of a classic. It is like a 1959 replica les paul and an original, get the picture?

I have read the manual cover to cover a dozen times.

I was looking for some personal experiences on the best way to dial the amp in to sound like an original (I have never played an original IIC+).

So just a thought, I was wondering that if they set up the IIC+ mode on the V to sound like the EQ'd version of the old original C+...maybe it sounded too close to the markIV mode. Hence the "holy grail tone non-eq'd C+ model" for the V.

From what I heard, the settings in the manual sound like a IIC+, but they don't represent the optimum holy grail settings of a IIC+

4406cuda said:
From what I heard, the settings in the manual sound like a IIC+, but they don't represent the optimum holy grail settings of a IIC+

You may be right.

From the Mark V manual:

"NOTE: II-C+ and MARK IV OWNERS
If you do end up doing a side by side with a II-C+ for the LEAD Mode, you must use the II-C+ and MARK V set like this for a fair comparison:
SET II-C+ As Follows:
VOLUME (Far Left) control Pulled (Bright On) and set to Approx. 7 ¾. (This stage in the MARK V is set to a sweet spot we found from measuring many amps and control deleted).
LEAD DRIVE Control Pulled and set to desired setting
All Tone Controls set by ear as close as possible (we measure each pot and set both exactly with an ohm meter).
PRESENCE set to desired setting. (0 or 10 is the most fair for comparisons sake and removes any pot variance).
GRAPHIC EQ Off (Bypassed)
SET MARK V As Follows:
GAIN control set by ear and relative “clock face” setting to II-C LEAD DRIVE.
Tone Controls set by ear and relative “clock face” setting as II-C Tone Controls. (Remember that II-C BASS control is in the 2nd position - MID is 3rd on II-C whereas MARK V is TREBLE, MID, BASS).
Channel 3 BRIGHT switch in the BRIGHT (switch down) position.
Rear Panel Channel 3 TRIODE / PENTODE switch set to TRIODE (switch down).
Rear Panel EFX LOOP switch set to ACTIVE (switch up)."

Yeah, I like how the manual tells you how to set your C+ to sound like the Mark V C+ mode. :?: :?: :?: The original link that I posted was the closest that we could get the Mark V to the DRG model C+ with the settings displayed. The Treble, Master, Lead Drive, and Lead Master pots were pulled on the C+. As far as tight and urgent EQ versus non-EQ models go, how much more urgent would you want an amp with a 105 PT played through EVM-12L speakers? :wink:

Hendog said:

If you are wanting the "Metallica or Dream Theater" ideal early C+ settings for the Mark V, I cannot be of any service. I tend to pick out my own best settings for the gear that I have on hand. Everyone has their guitar heroes, Santana, Gillis and Lukather are my Boogie player heroes. Who are yours?

I haven't gotten along well with IIC+ mode. It just seems to lack enough bottom end and depth. It feels like a thinner version of IV. I haven't actually tried a real IIC+, so I can't comment on what I would think of the real deal (with the pull deep).

I have both and managed to get a great C+ tone from the V.

Try these settings: (Make sure the channel is set for Triode)
This is using a 4x12 cab with V30's

IMG_8732.jpg

DaveP, how close does this sound to the C+? I am a new owner of a V and have only had a MKI. Even if it is not close I appreciate the settings and can really put them to use.

sherrill said:
DaveP, how close does this sound to the C+? I am a new owner of a V and have only had a MKI. Even if it is not close I appreciate the settings and can really put them to use.

I think lower presence and higher treble along with the GEQ settings shown provides similar tone to the C+.
You can adjust the gain to your liking. I think this setting is very close to the actual C+.

There you have it. I dialed mine in with a non-EQ 60w C+ for comparison. Came to very similar conclusion.

Those setting sound pretty good. Still, I've not yet made a setting that sounded good for IIC+ in triode, where it didn't sound better if I switched it to Mark VI pentode.

Hendog said:
JOEY B. said:
Hendog said:

...I'll simplify it for you,guy...is it a +?.........No
how do you set it up?..see our pics/see dave's pics.... 8)

Back