serious rectoverb question!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saminator19

Reaction score
i just bought a series 1 ( im pretty sure) rectoverb 50 combo amp and i love it. the tone is good and not thin and what not, but this thing doesnt sound really good at all down on low volumes :( . the problem is that this this thing is really loud. ive heard that cranking it will make the sound incredible, but the problem is, i dont usually play loud unless im playing over drums which isint to often.

can anybody tell me things i can do or buy to acchieve the great sounds this amp is suppoesed to have up high with out cranking the amp?

either cheap or expensive it doesnt matter, if itll make my amp sound great i up for it

and if i crank this amp will it suposedly have more distortion because i love lots of gain :D

thanks

An Overdrive pedal helps out alot when playing at low volumes. Also, play around with your settings for low volume playing, they will need to be adjusted differently than what you have everything set at for loud playing. Adjusting the Output and Channel volumes can affect the sound too. Try running the Output volume around 12:00 and the channel volume around 8:00.

You could also look into an attenuator:

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

try setting the bias to el34 while running 6l6 powertubes. the hotter bias makes it sound MUCH bigger and warmer.

coppa said:
try setting the bias to el34 while running 6l6 powertubes. the hotter bias makes it sound MUCH bigger and warmer.

Man I really would not do that. If you are going to go that route, its safer to just do a bias mod to get it right where it needs to be.

fluff191 said:
coppa said:

Man I really would not do that. If you are going to go that route, its safer to just do a bias mod to get it right where it needs to be.

Agreed. Not the best idea...

The el 34 setting is "pretty much" the correct bias for 6l6 tubes.
Bob at eurotubes seems to think so too (thats where I got the idea from).
Ive been doing it this way for a few months on my Solo 50 and its fine.

No way I would do that to my head... I think I would take MESA's word to NOT do that over someone you know.

Latest posts

Back