Serious Metal OD for my Mesa express 5:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slanderous666

Reaction score
I am in desperate need of an overdrive pedal I can use for metal on the crunch or burn channels of my mesa express. I have asked quite a few people but most seem bent on buying boutique pedals with 250$ price tags that a university student like myself just cant afford at the moment. Anyways I've found a few alternatives that might just work. I found a used Boss SD-1 Super overdrive for 45$, an ibanez tube screamer, an MXR Zak Wylde Distortion, MXR CSP-021 GT-OD Overdrive Pedal and most interestingly I like the sound of the Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer Metal X-L Pedal ( link below). I really dont want my amp to try to sound like a marshall clone I just want some decent high gain tone and this seems to have both OD and distortion so it seems to cover all the bases for a good price. Im looking for under 100$ basically any other suggestions without this price range would be great. Thanks in advance

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-JH1-Jackhammer-Metal-XL-Pedal?sku=150332

just crank it. i walked into a guitar center and played one up against some douche with a jvm halfstack. it really lacks preamp distortion but with the volume up it was capable of doing metal but you probably wouldnt be satisfied. i have a fulltone ocd but i dont use it...the mk iv is enough in the lead for me. the pedal you want depends on what kind of metal you want...great amp either way

What kind of pedal is best for adding pre amp distortion? Im a bit of a pedal noob. So more like a boost or OD or are we looking at a metal muff type thing?

maxon od 808
maxon od-9
tubescreamer
bb preamp

?

check out any of those?

lots of modern metal bands drive in the front with these

try a digitech bad monkey, that is... assuming you want to slam the front end for more amp gain, not the "distortion pedal" route. thats why you bought a mesa right :wink: they can be had for under 40 buck easy and you can just turn the gain all the way down and have the level dimed and you should get there. it also has seperate low/high controls so you have a little more control that just a single tone knob. I bought a ts808 to take its place but the bad monk is just so much warmer and smoother it found its way back to the board.

dylan7620 said:
try a digitech bad monkey, that is... assuming you want to slam the front end for more amp gain, not the "distortion pedal" route. thats why you bought a mesa right :wink: they can be had for under 40 buck easy and you can just turn the gain all the way down and have the level dimed and you should get there. it also has seperate low/high controls so you have a little more control that just a single tone knob. I bought a ts808 to take its place but the bad monk is just so much warmer and smoother it found its way back to the board.

If the distortion pedal route is the Boss Metal zone type thing then correct, I am looking for the NON distortion pedal route. Just keep it sounding like the same up with more gain. So yes dylan7620 thats what I'm looking for :D

prsman88 I like the maxon stuff but its a bit pricey at the moment and im still concerned that the ibanez tube scremer will give me too much mid hump but I will take a look at the bb pre amp as well as the bad monkey. I'll be honest the name "digitech" scares me since im looking for the least amount of digital sound possible LOL Great tips everyone keep it coming :D

Fatoni awesome info and yes i agree but sometimes it isnt practical to crank it up high as much as i love to. I think the fulltone is too much cash wise but ill still have a look.

A pedal that I think is sadly overlooked for driving the amp is the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

It has a gain knob as usual but also has a knob that allows you to set the mix of gain and clean signal mixed so you can slam the front end of the amp with clean/od and a mix of whatever level you fancy.

It also does a superb tubescreamer sound that personally I think is better than the original,although I had mine Keeley modded which did make a difference.

Also if you use it on your cleans it really does make the clean channel sparkle,I know a few country pickers that use one for a great super clean country tone (thats what I bought it for)

Setzer said:
A pedal that I think is sadly overlooked for driving the amp is the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

It has a gain knob as usual but also has a knob that allows you to set the mix of gain and clean signal mixed so you can slam the front end of the amp with clean/od and a mix of whatever level you fancy.

It also does a superb tubescreamer sound that personally I think is better than the original,although I had mine Keeley modded which did make a difference.

Also if you use it on your cleans it really does make the clean channel sparkle,I know a few country pickers that use one for a great super clean country tone (thats what I bought it for)

Ah I see and without the mod will it still have the same effect or will it need to be modded? I've never really looked into modding. Is it expensive and where can you get it done and is there a specific mod for what im looking for? I've seen some on ebay that say "brown sound mod" on SD-1's etc.

mi audio tube zone.... if you wnat crushhing metal out of the express while still keeping that organic tube vibe. its basically an od on steriods but the eq options is what can get you over the hump and into recto territory with the express. look for them used if $$$ is an issue but i always think about it this way... spend 200 on a **** good, well built, quality pedal that gets the job done or deal with a morw affordible pedal that may get you close. also the boutique stuff holds its value pretty well when compared to your run of the mill boss/digitech pedal. just my opnion though.

It's such a great amp. I'd look at boost pedal to just slam that preamp for extra distortion. I'd look at the MXR CAE-MC-401, Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso, Durham Sex-Drive....if you're going for the cheap route on it MXR Micro Amp, BBE Boosta Grande.....

aberrant said:
It's such a great amp. I'd look at boost pedal to just slam that preamp for extra distortion. I'd look at the MXR CAE-MC-401, Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso, Durham Sex-Drive....if you're going for the cheap route on it MXR Micro Amp, BBE Boosta Grande.....

Awesome I'm thinking of putting a boost with an eq pedal. Quick question, Will a boost just increase gai nor will it increase volume as well and will turning the volume on my guitar low and my amps volume high give me more tube saturation?

Jdurso love the Mi tube zone but university is starting back up again so cash will be tight. Ill definately look for one used though.

Slanderous666 said:
Awesome I'm thinking of putting a boost with an eq pedal. Quick question, Will a boost just increase gai nor will it increase volume as well and will turning the volume on my guitar low and my amps volume high give me more tube saturation?

Jdurso love the Mi tube zone but university is starting back up again so cash will be tight. Ill definately look for one used though.

A boost is going to push your amplifier's preamp section (which is where most of your distortion/gain is going to come from) which in turn will increase the volume. If you want to get a really saturated tube distortion tone out of your amp turn the amp volume down a bit and really crank the boost.

aberrant said:
Slanderous666 said:

A boost is going to push your amplifier's preamp section (which is where most of your distortion/gain is going to come from) which in turn will increase the volume. If you want to get a really saturated tube distortion tone out of your amp turn the amp volume down a bit and really crank the boost.

Awesome:D just what I wanted to know thanks !

Slanderous666 I'll be honest the name "digitech" scares me since im looking for the least amount of digital sound possible LOL Great tips everyone keep it coming :D [/quote said:
Don't fear... its the same company as DOD. and there it doesn't sound digital at all... its super warm and organic. it stomps (bad pun i know, :lol: ) other ODs that cost twice as much. I'm tring to keep in mind that you're not trying to go too costly. if you get something keeley modded expect to add another 70 or so to the price of the pedal. :roll:

To save yourself some cash there is also the option of you modding that SD-1 that you already have.

I havent heard the SD-1 mod myself but I modded my GE-7 eq pedal and the difference is totally unbelievable,I mean absolutely night and day.

The SD-1 is an ok pedal itself but ask anyone and they will tell you that a modded one is truly superb (ask Satch or Vai) the Monte Allums one is only £20!!! thats within anyones budget.

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#bosssd1
I have no hesitation in mentioning this guy as his mod kits are superb and are very easy to do yourself.

Maybe other people on this site have tried his mod kits and can give you their opinions on the SD-1 mod.

Setzer said:
To save yourself some cash there is also the option of you modding that SD-1 that you already have.

I havent heard the SD-1 mod myself but I modded my GE-7 eq pedal and the difference is totally unbelievable,I mean absolutely night and day.

The SD-1 is an ok pedal itself but ask anyone and they will tell you that a modded one is truly superb (ask Satch or Vai) the Monte Allums one is only £20!!! thats within anyones budget.

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#bosssd1
I have no hesitation in mentioning this guy as his mod kits are superb and are very easy to do yourself.

Maybe other people on this site have tried his mod kits and can give you their opinions on the SD-1 mod.

Awesome idea with the exception that I dont currently own one. I apoligize for the confusion but I mentioned I'd seen one on ebay with the brown sound mod and I wanted to see if that was a good idea. Are pedals that have already been modded a safe buy?

Slanderous666,

It depends on who's done the mod. If it's someone who is known for good mods, like Monte, Bob Keeley, Analogman, Brian Wampler, etc., there's a good possibility that the unit is now higher quality than it was when it originally left the factory.

Keeley puts an additional 5 yr. warranty on his modded pedals. When I do them, I put an unconditional lifetime warranty on them. I'd rather keep a longtime customer than keep from spending $50 on parts.

It also depends on where you buy the pedal. A freshly-modded pedal straight from any of the guys mentioned above is going to work just fine for years. Off of ebay, it's more of a crap shoot, because you never know how roughly the pedal's been treated before it gets to you.

Chris McKinley said:
Slanderous666,

It depends on who's done the mod. If it's someone who is known for good mods, like Monte, Bob Keeley, Analogman, Brian Wampler, etc., there's a good possibility that the unit is now higher quality than it was when it originally left the factory.

Keeley puts an additional 5 yr. warranty on his modded pedals. When I do them, I put an unconditional lifetime warranty on them. I'd rather keep a longtime customer than keep from spending $50 on parts.

It also depends on where you buy the pedal. A freshly-modded pedal straight from any of the guys mentioned above is going to work just fine for years. Off of ebay, it's more of a crap shoot, because you never know how roughly the pedal's been treated before it gets to you.

+1 on the used pedal treatment, especially ebay (in my opinion)

Chris McKinley said:
Slanderous666,

Ah ok so you can buy modded pedals directly from the modders and its all legit? I think this is a good idea since my soddering skills are less than amusing :p

Back