Sell my Express 5:25/10" and buy Express 5:50/12"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubbs

Reaction score
Here's the deal...I have an Express 5:25 w/10" that is great. I bought it used for $900.00. I have found an Express 5:50/12" that is $900.00 used and is great shape from the information I currently have. I have not seen the amp or played it at this point.

I can purchase the 5:50 because I just sold a Fender Supersonic 112 and have just about enough to purchase the 5:50. I would sell the 5:25 for 850.00 if I liked the 5:50.

What would you do..? Oh yea, let me add that I like the 5:25 because I don't have to break my back moving it from home to the stage. It sounds great and when mic'd pushes air just fine. If I did by the 5:50, what would I gain or lose?

Your thoughts....

Nubbs

Taylor T-5
Taylor Solidbody Classic
Carvin DC-200
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 w/10"
Sennheiser e609 Instrument mic

Nubbs said:
I can purchase the 5:50 because I just sold a Fender Supersonic 112 and have just about enough to purchase the 5:50. I would sell the 5:25 for 850.00 if I liked the 5:50.

I think you already said the best thing to do. Get it, take the time to outline the sound using 6L6 vs el84, and keep the one that you like better. Well that is something that I will like to do myself for sure!

If I were you, I'd spend that money on two different external speaker cabs. I've run mine (5:25) with a 1X12 Weber alnico Blue Dog, a big Yamaha with 6 or 8 10"ers (don't remember), a 4X10 peavey 4ohm, and a 4X12 16 ohm Marshall cab with Greenbacks. The 5:25 comes ALIVE with bigger/more speakers. The bottom end is really something to behold running with with the 1X12 and the big Yamaha together. Really brings out the big, boingy Strat sound. Clarifies the notes. Totally different sounds with each speaker combination, most of them beautiful.

There are times when I just want the spanky, boxy little 10" sound though. In my opinion, having the 10"er just gives you more tonal options, in combination with other speakers or with externals only. You really should try running the internal 10 with a 4X12. The 12" alnico Blue Dog sounds amazing with mine....would really like to try a 4X12 loaded with them...or maybe two alnico and two ceramics in one cab. I'm thinking about getting a 1X15 too. :)

Good luck with your decision. You'd probably love either one. If you're just planning on using the internal speaker exclusively, I'd say go for the 12" combo. Adds a LOT of depth to the sound.

If you like the 6L6 sound better than the EL84, it's a no brainer - get the 5:50. I personally found that the 1x10 speaker in the 5:25 is very limiting myself so an external cabinet like Steven is suggesting is an option.

StevenL.....I like the idea of an external but truthfully I got the 5:25 because of the portability. When I was using the Fender SS it was to heavy to move. I will say the sound was fantastic and it went to a guy in Tampa, FL who play top 40 covers for the 70's and 80's.

I am going to explore the external cab first. The 5:50 with 6L6's is a great amp but I do like the EL84's. The 5:25 is my first with them.

Thank you for the feedback.

Nubbs.

Don't forget that if you get the 5:50 you will also be able to use the 5:50 (12") as a cab for the 5:25.
So, 2 possible shoot including the 6l6 vs el84 one.

Tough choice! If I was happy with the 5:25 I'd keep it. I chose a 5:50 because it suited me better. I think I would've been happy with a 5:25 1x12 if they had been available when I bought my 5:50. Maybe.

Keep in mind that a 5:50 1x12 combo is a lot heavier and a bit larger than a 5:25 1x10 combo and that a 5:50 sounds nothing like a Supersonic (I tried one when I bought my 5:50 and chose the 5:50 because I wanted something a little different than a vintage Fender sound).

Don....yes you are right on accounts. Here is what I decided to to. I am going to pass on the 5:50 and I just spoke to my local music store about a extension cab for my 5:25. I can purchase a cab with a 10" for 319.00 or with a 12" for 359.00. These are the Mesa cabs so they fit the amp. I also think this will work fine because the Fender SS was one heavy sucker and the extesion cab is only 27 lbs. in the 10" & 12" config.

What do you guys think do the 10" or the 12"?

Nubbs.

I'm very happy with my 5:25/12" express. If I was in your shoes I would get the 1-12 cab... why get a 1-10 ext cab when you already have a 10?

richpjr said:
If you like the 6L6 sound better than the EL84, it's a no brainer - get the 5:50. I personally found that the 1x10 speaker in the 5:25 is very limiting myself so an external cabinet like Steven is suggesting is an option.

You're right. The 10"er is very limiting to the head in this amp. But that's really to be expected. You can only get so much out of one 10" speaker. But if you think of the 5:25 as a great HEAD that also includes a small speaker so you can noodle with it anywhere..... then it's no longer a limit but an opportunity. And that little 10, connected WITH a good 12"er, with the 10 attenuated so you can push the 12, can make some fine tone. I just got a Weber minimass for that purpose and it works great. My 1X12 alnico Blue Dog cab sounds fantastic like that. I also put a ceramic Weber Blue Pup in my 5:25; it's a clangy, screaming little sob. The two together rock pretty good.

Nubbs said:
Don....yes you are right on accounts. Here is what I decided to to. I am going to pass on the 5:50 and I just spoke to my local music store about a extension cab for my 5:25. I can purchase a cab with a 10" for 319.00 or with a 12" for 359.00. These are the Mesa cabs so they fit the amp. I also think this will work fine because the Fender SS was one heavy sucker and the extesion cab is only 27 lbs. in the 10" & 12" config.

Nubbs.

You'll find the 12 a vast improvement I think. Really adds a lot of meat to the tone. Smoother distortion. Much better bottom end. I think I'd just get a well made empty cabinet and put a really fine speaker in it... maybe try several. A Blue Dog sounds great. Maybe one of those Celestion alnico Gold 50 watt 12s. It's fun just experiencing all the different tones.The 5:25 will fit on top of any slightly larger cab. I'd like a nice natural wood finish cab.

Anyway... 12 12 12 12 12 :) that's my vote

I agree with Steven1. I put an alnico Blue Pup (10") in mine. I also have a Studio 22+ with a 12" Blue Dog. I often use both of them on gigs. The Studio 22 died once on a gig, and I hooked both speakers to the Express. Sounded VERY nice.

I'm with the guys above. The 5:50 and 5:25 really are apples and oranges from a tone perspective.

I really like EL-84 amps and the 5:25 is much easier to get a pushed overdrive sound at reasonable volumes. I'd add a 1x12 ext cab. You'll be surprised.

Nubbs said:

Nubbs.

You have a 10 in the combocab ...get the 12, absolutely! FWIW, I respectfully disagree with others who feel the 10" is a limiting factor. I used to feel this way, then really got to playing my 110 even more and have come to really love this amp's voice! No, it is not a 12" voice, but it's not pretending to be, either. It is what it is, and instrument with its own voice, and if you don't like that, then sure, get a 12" combo. Or get a 5:50. But the 5:25 with the 10" offers its own thing, and really sounds great as is. Also think of all those very cool Princetons, Vox, etc. that rocked the world with 10" spkrs, and the rabid vintage spkr market for that 10" tone, as well as high-buck boutique amps which sport 10s . Heck, it these spkrs sucked, everyone would have gone 12.

If you haven't already picked up a cab from Mesa, check out Mesa's Thiele 12" cab ...wow! Find a used one with an EVM and it will change the way you see your amp. Huge, as in big sonic footprint, but complements (not drowns) the orig 10" well. It also fits perfectly under the 110's cab. FWIW, I have one and I love it. I only use the Thiele cab when I want that add'l girth and authrority, but use the combo on its own more often than not. But when you want big, man Mesa's Thiele with EVM really delivers in a huge way. IMHO, of course.

Edward

Does your 5.25 still have the stock 10 inch speaker in it? If so, that is a very severe limitation placed on a great amp with an otherwise great design. I never will understand amp makers who design and build an amp that can go 99 miles an hours and then put a speaker in it that blows at 55. That stock E50 is a wart on the nose of an otherwise superb amp, almost as if Mesa said, "Here is a pos speaker to sell it, then you can put whatever you want in it cuz we know people switch out speakers all the time no matter what we put in there."

If you want clarity in mids and highs and singing leads, try the Celestion alnico G10 Gold. If you need clean lows, put a Tone Tubby Superboy 10 in it. A regular Tone Tubby ceramic 10 will sound like magic compared to that stock speaker. Try a 10 inch Weber Texas or Michigan if you can find one. But by all means, if you buy an extension cab, get 12's, don't get another 10 unless you are getting a 2x10 or 4x10. The guy who does Coyote Cabs cn get you a cab that takes one 10 and one 12.

There is an unfinished Thiele cab on ebay right now cheap, if you had that and put an EVM12L in it, you'd be in tone heaven. And remember that some speakers are more honest than others, so if you hear an EV and don't like it, it aint the speaker. It's the way your guitar, pedals, and amp are set.

Nubbs said:
Here's the deal...I have an Express 5:25 w/10" that is great. I bought it used for $900.00. I have found an Express 5:50/12" that is $900.00 used and is great shape from the information I currently have. I have not seen the amp or played it at this point.

What would you do..? Oh yea, let me add that I like the 5:25 because I don't have to break my back moving it from home to the stage. It sounds great and when mic'd pushes air just fine. If I did by the 5:50, what would I gain or lose?

Your thoughts....

Nubbs

Taylor T-5
Taylor Solidbody Classic
Carvin DC-200
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 w/10"
Sennheiser e609 Instrument mic

Nubbs - I say that the answer depends totally on your dodgy back.
Go to store and lift a 5:50 and see if it's too heavy for you. If it's not then it's a no brainer to me.
IMO the 5:50 is a much better amp.
It sounds better thru the whole range, it's quieter, has more clean headroom and I prefer 6L6 amps.

I still luv the 5:25 so don't think I'm being critical at all.
I think it's the best 25 watt EL84 amp money can buy :mrgreen:

"Better" only makes sense (and even then is rife with subjectivity) when one is comparing apples to apples. You just can't compare an EL84 amp and 6L6, not to mention amps of differing wattage, and then there's cab size. These two share names ...that's about it. The better one is the one that has the tone for you.

FWIW, I personally prefer 6L6 tone, but I love my 525 for its different voice that is musical and sweet, but in a flavor that is different from 6L6 goodness :)

Edward

Latest posts

Back