Seeking IIC upgrade advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodger916

Reaction score
Ithaca, NY...10 sq miles surrounded by reality!
I recently acquired a Mark IIC 60 watt export combo...loving it so far! Great tone and simply a pleasure to play. I find it a has a less modern voice than the Mark IV and a little less stiff, but still plenty articulate.

Anyway, before I make the decision to upgrade, I'd appreciate any input from those who have first-hand experience with the characteristics of both the C and the C+. I've practically memorized Ed's "IIC+ for Dummies", and read several other articles describing the merits of the upgrade. I've also heard from one person who echoed the improvement in lead tone while expressing a "sentimental" disappointment after upgrading ("one less C in the world").

I don't play metal, and I have a Mark IV if the urge strikes me. My style is rooted in 60s thru 80s music. Keith Richards was my motivation for learning guitar (I began as a drummer), and the IIC really captures his punchy, growling rhythm licks. My lead playing has been most influenced by Duane Allman, Clapton, Page, SRV, Zappa; I don't aspire to be a shredder. My writing style is fairly broad, but centers around melodic, punchy chord phrases and licks. I guess I'm just a rock 'n roller at heart!

Thanks in advance, and for all your collective help in the past.

Frank

Sounds like you got the "YES" factor!!!
when you strum a chord, the amp screams YES back at you;-)

I get it when I play my c+'s and I never get it from another amp, I have played a C, and it didn't do it for me, but if you love the tone, there is no need to upgrade.

tony777 said:
Sounds like you got the "YES" factor!!!
when you strum a chord, the amp screams YES back at you;-)

In a word....YES!

tony777 said:
I get it when I play my c+'s and I never get it from another amp, I have played a C, and it didn't do it for me, but if you love the tone, there is no need to upgrade.

...but the curiosity is killing me! Maybe I should try a C+ also?? I got the GAS bug bad; I was hoping the Mark IV would cure me!

FWIW I would definitely leave it as is. the MKIIC per se allready was the rarest of the MKII's and if you deduct the amount that got smashed and has been "upgraded" over the years you're probably down to a couple of hundred that are left ? might sound stupid, but if something has survived the last 25 years in its original condition, why change it now ?

Just buy a c+ and if you don't like it...trust me, someone will be glad to take it off your hands. And if you like it. Sell it anyway and mod yours.

"might sound stupid, but if something has survived the last 25 years in its original condition, why change it now ?"

I completely agree

I have a C+ and a SOB and am equally happy with both lead tones.I dont play metal either,so maybe the "C+ factor" is more of a metal thing.If you like the amp as is,then just leave it be.Its an expensive mod,and unless you really "need" it why go thru the expense?Even if you were to play a C+ and fall in love with the tone,after you do the mod theres no guarantee that your modded amp is gonna give it up as well.

Stonge said:
Just buy a c+ and if you don't like it...trust me, someone will be glad to take it off your hands. And if you like it. Sell it anyway and mod yours.

"might sound stupid, but if something has survived the last 25 years in its original condition, why change it now ?"

I completely agree

That's the direction I'm leaning...keeping the C as is and looking for a C+.

I'm really enjoying this amp! I thought the Mark IV was the end-all for me, but I've found a new home in the IIC!

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Frank

gts said:
stokes said:
I have a C+ and a SOB and am equally happy with both lead tones.I dont play metal either,so maybe the "C+ factor" is more of a metal thing.If you like the amp as is,then just leave it be.Its an expensive mod,and unless you really "need" it why go thru the expense?Even if you were to play a C+ and fall in love with the tone,after you do the mod theres no guarantee that your modded amp is gonna give it up as well.

Fwiw IMHO a modded C to C+ gives it up pretty well in fact there are times I like it more than an original C+.

But it is expensive ($3-400 plus shipping)

I am not saying there is anything wrong with an upgrade as compared to a stock C+,but tone being a subjective topic,if the C works for him as is,why take a chance,what one views as an improvement might not be percieved by someone else as an improvement.

The C+ thing is not all hype, but believe me, not ALL C+'S sound as good or better than your C. Leave it alone if it sounds killer already. I have a IIB with the effects loop mod done by Mike B. and it blows any amp I've heard out of the water. But that is an opinion. I say leave your amp alone and maybe try a C+ if you can find one.

adrenaline junkie said:
What is the main difference or differences in tone? Both of my C's have been upgraded to C+. More gain? Smoother? Something else?

ton of usable gain, attack, smoothness, etc...

Latest posts

Back