SED Winged =C= EL34s + 6L6s came in today and..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRory

Reaction score
So far I've tried the EL34s.

They fucking rip. I still find that the cleans are great with some EQ tweaks, has a different feel than the Mesa 6L6s. Tweed 10w Variac gives me some sick *** tones, no graphic EQ. Channel 2 Crunch. Oh. My. God. You all were right about it sounding much more rock n roll with EL34s. I'm loving the tones. Channel 3 wise, I wasn't blown away, but I liked the tones. It doesn't sound as metal to me as it did with EL34s. Of course that depends on what my tone perception and liking for metal is, and EL34's do sound great, I just think I prefer 6L6s for channel 3. The stuff I'm playing mostly is alternative/rock/funk/indie (mid gainy tones) so I'm actually really digging the EL34s. I was jamming along to some Red Hot Chili Peppers and it just felt right, especially coil split. Tomorrow I'll play some more with the 34's and then swap them out for the SED 6L6s and repost telling you all what I think. I'll even pop the Mesa 6L6s back in. HELL, maybe I'll make a video with my Kodak Zi8 (good video, audio is passable).

Can't wait to let you all know how the tone quest goes. Peace!

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum, but I've been reading here for over 4 years now, trully enjoying all the knowledge flowing. The folks around here sure know their sh*#. I have a RK II v.2 and a Mark V and I've been intrigued by SED Winged C's for some time now.

RocknRory, may I ask where you bought them and how much the two quad sets cost?

Thanks for all the info.

Jean.

Sure Jean. I got them at Dougstubes.com and each quad cost around $120 with free USA shipping and included USPS insurance. I've ordered 6 preamp tubes from doug months ago and he was helpful and answered my questions and got me some good preamp tubes. I just mentioned the tubes were intended for use with a mesa fixed bias and he sent them out. The tubes are carefully and thickly bubble wrapped and encased around newspaper in the box he sends. No damage done at all!

Don't forget to set up an onset of clip tone on EDGE mode in channel 2. TWEED in Ch. 1 on 10 watt with the output at 11 with the gain cranked is excellent also.

I'm assuming you checked your bias after changing your power tubes?

I have 2 of them in the outside sockets of my Mark IV. By far the best tube I have tried yet. I've been through Mesa brand, GT's, JJ EL34L's, and now the SED's. I can't seem to take my amp out of class a. I'm tempted to get a Mark V just so I can run 4 of these little guys in Simul-class. :twisted:

Yeah, I made sure to flip the bias to EL34, don't want to screw the amp up!

Edit:

Ok, I jammed with the EL34s for about an hour and a half or so, then switched to the SED 6L6s. I actually love the tones produced by both of them. The cleans with the EL34s are great, I still prefer the 6L6 cleans over it but still, the EL34 cleans kick major ***. Channel 2, I would say I prefer the tones with EL34s in due to the rock n' roll midrange feel but I find that 6L6s still kick *** too. I haven't found any unpleasing tones with either tube type to be honest. Both the SED EL34s and 6L6s are magical and imho, destroy the stock Mesa 6L6s. Everything feels so lively. I don't mind screeching screamin' highs as long as it has some good bass and mid range chunk to back it up :) Channel 3, I prefer the 6L6s more. Definitely more low end which gives metal a better feel and depth and I find rolling back the volume on the guitar on channel 3 cleans up better with 6L6s than EL34s. Again, the EL34s still sound great, and I would be VERY happy to gig or just jam with 6L6s OR EL34s. Different sounds, different feels, both rock. Overall, SED Winged =C='s are awesome tubes. Very good purchase, well worth the money. I can experiment with tone even more now if I ever get tired with one quad of tubes (haha, like that will ever happen.)

Eventually I'll get around to making a youtube video to compare it, with same settings, and with settings I feel ideal for each type of tube. Rock on Mark V owners!

actually if you are using a different brand power tubes beside mesa boogie you have to set the bias pot correctly. here's a sample on how to bias your amp:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4467499_set-right-power-tube-amplifier.html

RocknRory said:
Sure Jean. I got them at Dougstubes.com and each quad cost around $120 with free USA shipping and included USPS insurance. I've ordered 6 preamp tubes from doug months ago and he was helpful and answered my questions and got me some good preamp tubes. I just mentioned the tubes were intended for use with a mesa fixed bias and he sent them out. The tubes are carefully and thickly bubble wrapped and encased around newspaper in the box he sends. No damage done at all!

Thanks RocknRory, this makes it very tempting....

All the best,
Jean.

gonzald1 said:
actually if you are using a different brand power tubes beside mesa boogie you have to set the bias pot correctly. here's a sample on how to bias your amp:

I'd love to. If you could please tell me where the bias pot is on a Mark V fixed bias amplifier? :lol:

ryjan said:
gonzald1 said:

I'd love to. If you could please tell me where the bias pot is on a Mark V fixed bias amplifier? :lol:

+1 !!

RocknRory said:
Again, the EL34s still sound great, and I would be VERY happy to gig or just jam with 6L6s OR EL34s. Different sounds, different feels, both rock. Overall, SED Winged =C='s are awesome tubes.

I'm liking EL34 SEDs at the moment...

But the clear answer here is TWO MarkV's...one with EL34s and the other with 6L6s!!! :D

gonzald1 said:

bias pot? we doan need no steenking bias pot!

:cry: hmmmm.... if the amp is still under warranty might want to wait before adding a bias pot. but then again after installing other than mesa boogie tubes you opted out on warranty.

bias pot can be added by replacing the 22k resistor with a bias mod kit.

You don't need a bias pot if the tubes were already pre-matched for the mesa fixed bias liked I got them. Win! Screw modding this amp, definitely don't want to touch it.

Oh, my warranty isn't gone. The tubes are bias fine and if I get a problem and end up having to send the amp in for repair, all I do is switch the tubes back to the boogies, you can't even tell.

gonzald1 said:
:cry: hmmmm.... if the amp is still under warranty might want to wait before adding a bias pot. but then again after installing other than mesa boogie tubes you opted out on warranty.

bias pot can be added by replacing the 22k resistor with a bias mod kit.

I´m not saying that you shouldnt be posting here, but if you dont own a MKV then you SHOULDNT be talking about something that anybody on this forum can tell you dont know a **** about it..just saying..peace

You don't need a bias pot. Most good tube dealers can send you tubes that will bias properly in a Boogie.

i'm not trying to pick a fight. i happen to own several boogie's including mark v and roadster. so i know a lot of **** about boogie amps . sorry to offend anyone. i'm glad you guys are boogie fans like me. peace and out and keep rockin'.

If you order from Doug's or The Tube Depot they should be able to send you the correct tubes for the fixed bias on your V. Doing the bias mod will also work but I have to agree with everyone else to wait until after your warranty runs out to do this. If you can't decide on 6L6's or EL34's then get a Mark IV and run both. :D

Back