Seasoned veterans of the Mark V, why should I get the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MK V combo is 65 lbs.. the head is 44 and the roadster is 48lbs (head)
the combo does have casters too.

MBJunkie said:
I can't comment about the Vox and Orange amps that you are considering, however, I own a MkV 1x12 combo and most recently an Electradyne 1x12 combo. Both excellent amplifiers!

I have been playing mostly MB amplifiers since I started playing 20+ years ago. I have owned a DC-5, MkIV (still own), Lonestar, Road King I Head, Lonestar Special, Express 5:50 1x12.

The ED offers modes which all sound killer....great clean, low gain and hi gain sounds available. Each one can sound fantastic on its own and footswitchable when running the controls in the medium ranges (except the master volume...I don't set it past 9 o'clock in 45 watt mode). You have been warned! ;-) The ED definitely has a british vibe going on with the low and hi gain modes (with 6L6's)!

While I really like the ED, The MkV is the holy grail amp for me! It offers everything that I have always wanted in a powerful tube amp...great cleans, crunch and hi gain lead sounds with options on the graphic EQ, solo boost, power settings, etc....

Seeing that you are a current Roadster owner, you are not new to "tweakability" in a tube amp. Whether you are into combos or heads, single coil or HB guitars.....I feel that you will be blown away by the MkV, but do give the ED a go as well because it is a fantastic amp in its own right!

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

I just recently demoed the MKV in a store and i LOVED it. I demoed a Roadster in store as well and HATED IT.I own a roadster and i love it, but in the store without my 10band eq it sounded fizzy and flubby, while the mark sounded tight, articulate, and powerful ..all this and it was stock. These posts have convinced me to take the Mark home this weekend for a side by side tests with my gear. I'll try and put up clips or vids to get some of the differences if you haven't decided by then. Again, i love my Roadster, just wanted to try something with a smoother and tighter gain, and in store (loud noisy environment) it sounded awesome across all three channels. I'm looking forward to taking it for an actual test drive.

I would recommend grabbing some of the settings from this site and playing the amp. I'm sure you'll know if it's the one for you pretty quickly.... definitely try the Electradyne too.

Latest posts

Back