Screaming fan !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPJunky

Reaction score
:wink: I mean the cooling one.

When we took a break last night during rehearsal we all heard a wicked sound coming from the back of the amp. Sounded more like a dying air condition unit or something like that. When I realized it was my beloved MkV I panicked and turned it off immediately. When I turned it on again all was gone. I'm assuming it was the fan.

I remember on this forum someone changed it was a better quality unit to eliminate the noise completely. I guess it is a cheap unit and I wouldn't mind replacing it now with a premium one before it really goes to crap. Does anybody has the exact specs, brand, supplier for a perfect replacement?

Thanks,

Marcus71 said:
Ha!

I was thinking of the other type of screaming fan. :lol:

+1

i can hardly hear mine, specially at gig volumes...... i do not know if you can find something more quiet than the mark v's fan but if you do find something, please let us know...

and sorry to hear about your problem.

good luck

I'd give Mesa and ring and ask wtf on this one...

Also, it looks like a dang server/computer fan and if the specs are the same I would think upgrading
to a beefier one wouldn't be too tough. As with computer fans, you might have a boatload of dust
in there. Maybe a blast with compressed air might work to clean it out and stop the whine.

Good luck!

Ya, we all know how those computer fans start making noise too soon. If that's what they used that would explain the short lifespan. Especially we know that it is warm in there with all that glowing glass. I need that kryptonite bearings fan :idea: !

LPJunky said:
Ya, we all know how those computer fans start making noise too soon. If that's what they used that would explain the short lifespan. Especially we know that it is warm in there with all that glowing glass. I need that kryptonite bearings fan :idea: !

There are several threads in the forum on fans and dB ratings. You can search for "cooling fan". I use a sleeve bearing and added a in line on/off switch plus a screen for the times things may fall into it. Of course my amps a earlier Mesas but I still make sure they have a fan. Seems to keep the power tube's tone consistent (could just be my ears :wink: )

Dennis

Actually, I'm not really worried about dB ratings it's the reliability which is the important aspect. Mine is definitely going bad and I would like to avoid a total meltdown. I'll search the other threads.

Thx.

LPJunky said:
Actually, I'm not really worried about dB ratings it's the reliability which is the important aspect. Mine is definitely going bad and I would like to avoid a total meltdown. I'll search the other threads.

Thx.

Here is a recent thread on the subject.

Dennis

Problem repeated last night! It appears to be the swithcing relay going in frenzy when engaging CH 3. At this point, it's an intermittent problem. I hope it breaks for good otherwise its a pain. I hate these on/off problems. I have a faint memory of someby else on this board experiencing this exact problem. I will keep you posted on any developement....

:cry:

Well! Sorry but I've been barking up the wrong tree. I had the problem fizzy relay going on last night again. I found that wiggling the footswitch cable at the back stopped and thenstarted the relay fizz ! Eureka! I did the what was found out in the EQ problem switching on/off and all is now working properly.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=44950

In addition to what was suggested (bending upward the small metal tongue at the bottom of the connector), I sanded the metal a bit.

The cable is definetly a problem area. The cable gauge really seems to be on the heavy side. A screw on connector would have been better.

Problem solved! Confidence's back.

I was not looking forward in bringing the head to the store after replacing all the EL34 + preamp tubes by original ones.

Latest posts

Back