Scored an oscilloscope !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy

Reaction score
15 Bux at a yard sale . Seems to work okay . Question : is it possible to make a probe for this thing ? It would appear to be a shielded wire /voltage divider/attenuater kind of apparatus . Its a Hitachi 212 /20 mhz unit .
Will any commercial probe work for this ? I plan to use it for general trouble shooting and repairs on analog circuits . Also scored a nifty tube frequency generator . I'm stoked ! Any help would be super ,
Thanks . B

Never , never eat the mushrooms off the lawn .
Unless of course , your into that sorta thing . :wink:

Hey that isn't funny. I have been reseeding my lawn and keeping it really wet. I have since grown some crazy shrooms. They aren't liberty caps or anything but they sure look like they could do some damage. The dogs keep picking them up and carrying them around. Fortunately, they haven't eaten them yet.

Its in one of those hanging baskets over the sink . Maple leaf motif .
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/gufefut/DCP_0899.jpg

Its decomposing nicely , acquiring patina and complexity .

Now that I have seen a more recent pic, I would say definitely a turtlehead...

As far as your oscilloscope goes you will have to check out the connections for the leads and read the manual. I was reading about oscilloscopes on Tone Lounge and those things are made out to be more complex than they are.

You might take it into an electronics shop if it is not too big and try out the leads there this will eliminate the yo-yo effect.

I scored some old electronics on e-bay a couple years ago and though the testing equipment seemed very dated it works fine. Because some of the gear was obviously discontinued I had to make some fresh leads myself.

No leads , no manual .Time to go fishin ' .

Edit: I know I might be setting myself up , but what is this "yo -yo " effect ?
B

That is what I call when you play pinball between shops and home. It is like you are being flung out there and returned repeatedly. The whole thing makes you look like a yo-yo. This is one of my pet peeves. The ol' lady does this to me all the time and it pisses me off to no end.

ok after that great offtopic :D I understand that you want to make your own probe test.
ok you could do a probe even with the potate of your image but the matter is the resolution and the accurate of your measures, a probe has some resistors and caps, the voltage divider you quote is for probes that are 10:1, very useful with high voltages but not really useful under 100 volts p-p signals.
Ok the classical probe has a resistor of megaohms and a cap of picofarads making a perfect low pass filter that helps the bandwith of the oscilloscope, the zero on Laplace domain is totally stable helping you to avoid any oscillate induced by the probe. There is also other elements on the probe, but not want to confuse you
Ok after that explain doing a probe is factible, but I recomend to you buy one manufactured, my probes costs 20 dollars and are from hameg and hp.
A probe is a probe, you could calibrate a probe because it is an independent instrument, and theorical it must be work any probe on your hitachi, be sure that your probe is for 20 MHz bandwith and enjoy it

Thanks for the replys , It would seem that any "probe " up to 100-150 mhz with a bnc connector could do the job , then ?

It does seem to be evolving into a turtlehead now that you mention it !

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/gufefut/DCP_1061.jpg

Actually, post some current pics of the potato. I need some eye candy... :wink:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/gufefut/tatobun.jpg

Unfortunately , the potato is no more .
It attained a sufficient level of karma to move on to the next level of it's
road to nirvana ....
The compost pile .
Oh the stench ....

Latest posts

Back