Schecter vs Gibson?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've given Schecter quite a few shots trying them out stores but I've really ever played on one that I liked. There's just something about them that I can't quite put my finger on that I don't like about them.

I think the Schecter vs Gibson comparison is bad. You can't honestly compare a $500 guitar with a $2,000 guitar.

Schecter vs LTD is probably better. They are both Korean made guitar right? I mean Samick is probably making both of them anyway. It's just who is paying Samick more money to have more attention spent on the details during the manufacturing process.

For the most part import guitars from Asia are consistently mediocre. I went through 3 ibanez xiphos' and each one had the same exact high low fret problem on the same exact frets. One was at a Sam Ash and two were from AMS. My local repair place said they have this problem all the time with Asian guitars. They are decent, just mass produced.

Gibson's problem is that they are "known" for being an American hand made quality instrument and they don't put out a consistent level of quality according to their price.

Turumbar82 said:
Gibson's problem is that they are "known" for being an American hand made quality instrument and they don't put out a consistent level of quality according to their price.

That is the reason that I had my 1971 LP restored (except the paint) by the Gibson custom shop rather than buying a new production Les Paul. I've heard way too many hit-and-miss quality issues with the new Gibsons. I played my nephew's Schecter C-1 classic and thought is was a great guitar for the price (after I set the truss rod and action).

Turumbar82 said:

GIbsons are not hand made. They have more CNC stuff than any maker and are even working with a maker to design the first CNC specifically designed for guitars.

When they say 'hand made' they are using a very loose definition of hand made. Hand finished is a better description.

fatoni said:
Rocky said:
A Hyundai is still held in much lower regard than a Caddy. I could have used a higher end car maker but I dont think Gibson is a TRUE high end guitar maker....much like caddy they look the part but are lacking. To me the only proper product coming out of Gibson on a regular basis is the Custom shop stuff.

nobody cares how things are regarded...at least they shouldnt. its a valid argument that it would be stupid to find a schecter haning up on a collectors wall where a gibson would a staple. but your comparing gibsons custom shop to schecters mass production models. check out the custom shop at schecter to find an accurate comparison or look on the lowend and see what happens. dollar for dollar schecter wins in my book

ZING

Someone completely missed the point.......

And if nobody cares about how things are regarded then I wonder where you have been and think you should turn on the lights and start paying attention.

I am NOT comparing Gibson Custom to Schecter anything. I am saying that Gibson does NOT make great guitars unless you hit their Custom stuff. Gibson doesnt make high end guitars, neither does Schecter. Gibson Custom shop are kinda on the way to true high end.....CS Schecters are good but not high end pieces.

If you want high end you are talking Driskill, Heatley, Grosh, Suhr, Anderson, D'Pergo, Collings, Huber and other makers of that category. Factory guitars are not true high end.

so what was the point? the op was talking about an sg standard and schecter guitars and now there is a lot of extraneous information. caring about how things are regarded is why gibson can charge what they do, for what they offer. i dont want to propagate this internet quarrel but you just left me a little confused

Rocky said:
Turumbar82 said:

GIbsons are not hand made. They have more CNC stuff than any maker and are even working with a maker to design the first CNC specifically designed for guitars.

When they say 'hand made' they are using a very loose definition of hand made. Hand finished is a better description.

Yeah you are definitely right. I should have put my quotes around the "hand made". The term gets used a lot loosely with plenty of companies.

I totally disagree with u guys. although ur preference is your preference. But i sat down at guitar center and played a $3,000 dollar gibson les paul. Then i picked up a schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR. i felt so comforatable with it. it blew gibson out of the water if u ask me. but thats my opinion.

Regardless of brand name every guitar is different from the next. The wood itself has so much to do with the sound that anything is believeable. I have played Gibson's that were totally crap and I primarly play Gibson's for everything. When buying a guitar you really have to play a bunch of them and pick the best for you.

thejay said:
Regardless of brand name every guitar is different from the next. The wood itself has so much to do with the sound that anything is believeable. I have played Gibson's that were totally crap and I primarly play Gibson's for everything. When buying a guitar you really have to play a bunch of them and pick the best for you.

You make a good point about. I mean even the same model of guitar can be different from serial number to serial number. I think that is the whole point though. Some Gibson's play great and some play like crap and that's for a guitar that costs much more than a Schecter. I expect cheaper import guitars to have a little quality control issues, but for the price Gibson is charging those problems shouldn't be there. If I had the money for a Gibson, I would buy a PRS instead.

Turumbar82 said:
thejay said:

You make a good point about. I mean even the same model of guitar can be different from serial number to serial number. I think that is the whole point though. Some Gibson's play great and some play like crap and that's for a guitar that costs much more than a Schecter. I expect cheaper import guitars to have a little quality control issues, but for the price Gibson is charging those problems shouldn't be there. If I had the money for a Gibson, I would buy a PRS instead.
Hell if i had the money for a gibson i would buy an EBMM or a Suhr.

for being imports, i love the looks of some schecters. particularly the stiletto. there's been a few others that have caught my eye over the years. the only thing that's ever stopped me from pulling the trigger is that they all come with those silly super-huge frets. obviously their market is shredders. offer something with medum to 6105 fretwire and i'm there!

thinskin57 said:
for being imports, i love the looks of some schecters. particularly the stiletto. there's been a few others that have caught my eye over the years. the only thing that's ever stopped me from pulling the trigger is that they all come with those silly super-huge frets. obviously their market is shredders. offer something with medum to 6105 fretwire and i'm there!

schecters look good to me too...they even look good enough so that when john suhr and tom anderson left that company they "borrowed" when starting their own companies

IMO the Schecter is a good guitar for the money. No, my C-1 Hellraiser does not play (or sound) at all like my '73 Lester, BUT the Schecter has a nice neck profile, great upper fret access, a very good fit/finish, and great hardware and electronics for a guitar in this price range.

Make sure that regardless of brand, you play multiple guitars to find the one that feels "right". When I bought the Schecter, I was actually out looking at Epi's :shock: but none felt good in MY hands. The Hellraiser just caught my eye. I played three different ones before I picked the one I took home.

Dom

I own a Schecter USA custom shop, and it is an absolutely incredible guitar. It's not quite for me, which is why I'm selling it, but it's a complete work of art. There are few guitars in this world that surpass its quality. The difference between their custom shop guitars and their production guitars is like the difference between a Squier and a Suhr.

i have played many different guitars and there are many things to take into account. With a Gibson you are paying for the name, but you are getting a good guitar almost everytime, depending on what you're looking for. Price is a big issue though. My choice now and has been for awhile is a schecter. I play a diamond series elite, duncan humbucker on the bridge and duncan single on the neck, which gives me a nice range to work with. Sounds great clean, and amazing distorted. Also it stays in tune like a champ. Korean made guitars are great for about half the price. Every brand has its crappy guitar so just know what you're lookin at.

Well, I have both a Schecter C-7 ATX (SD Blackouts) and a Gibson Nighthawk Landmark.
I think my Schecter holds up incredibly; sounds far better than a RG 1527, DK7 or SC607.
For the money, a Schecter is real value and will keep you smiling.
BUT, when I plug my Gibson in, it's pure tonal heaven. It's not metal, which suits my C-7 ATX far better, but the sound still keeps amaze me and the playability is great.

So, I always gig with my Schecter and don't want anything else. But when it comes to recording a emotional solo, I will use my Gibson without a doubt.

Latest posts

Back