Sapele in the Grass. (Mesa Hardwoods)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaHW

Reaction score
Hi there,

after a long pause of my hobby and music, i'm feeling fine again and found the time for my projects.

Just start making the Sapele Arrival from last year. 1 Wide Head 5 Short Heads. Another 3 Flame Maple Short Heads.

Actual Process.... first Oil Layer for last sanding.

Coming soon! Ready in 2-3 weeks. Enjoy the pictures. :)

Next project will be Bubinga Headshells and Sapele Thiele Cabs. But don't ask me when :?
Hopefully i will find the time this year.

Those Shells took me so much time and patience. But i'm very happy with the result so far. Now it will need the reverb tank holes and a lot of time for the multiple oil layer to dry. And of course all the panels. I will leave the old school Mesa Design. I think the leather handle will work best. Or what do you think? The hardest work is done and i would like to share the results. :)

Stay tuned 8)

MesaHW said:
Hi there,

after a long pause of my hobby and music, i'm feeling fine again and found the time for my projects.

Just start making the Sapele Arrival from last year. 1 Wide Head 5 Short Heads. Another 3 Flame Maple Short Heads.

Actual Process.... first Oil Layer for last sanding.

Coming soon! Ready in 2-3 weeks. Enjoy the pictures. :)

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

Next project will be Bubinga Headshells and Sapele Thiele Cabs. But don't ask me when :?
Hopefully i will find the time this year.

Those Shells took me so much time and patience. But i'm very happy with the result so far. Now it will need the reverb tank holes and a lot of time for the multiple oil layer to dry. And of course all the panels. I will leave the old school Mesa Design. I think the leather handle will work best. Or what do you think? The hardest work is done and i would like to share the results. :)

Stay tuned 8)

Hey man, very nice work. One small word of advice.......cut the reverb holes out prior to assembly. I tried both ways, and it was much easier to mount a template and route out the hole on just the bottom. Good job, they look very pretty. Love the sapele. I have an older Ibanez RG520 with the quilted Sapele top with an oil rubbed finish. tasty.

Hi they look so good man, I would love a combo shell, how much you charging? To bad I can't get one as I'm in australia and the cost would be ridiculous, but I'm sure there would be some interest, nice job.

Regards
Casey

Thank you all for your comments.

Hope you enjoyed the pics. I will update the process if anything will change.

Hey Trickyrick. I already saw some of your work in the past. And i'm really pleased about a comment from a Hardwood fellow :). Sapele is really a very nice wood. It's quite heavy but easy to work with. Not like Bubinga. I'm very happy with the outcome. Had a lot of adjustment work to make the Dovetail Joints exactly to the Mesa ones. So many hardwood piece victims to keep the joint tight and a clean cut. This wood was quite expensive and it took me over a year to get those wood in this quality and in one piece. So it would be a mess if i would ruin the wood. And thanks for the advice. Wasn't sure about the Reverb tank hole. But i already have an idea how to solve the problem. 8)

Now my local hardwood dealer is selling a pallet of figured ribbon Sapele which is really nice looking. Already bought two huge pieces for Thiele cabs. So i will be able to take orders if someone is interested in an Combo, Head or Thiele.

Kc-ksom. Usually i don't make Combo Shells. Because it's hard to find wood in this quality. And the Combo shell needs a little bit more wood, which i couldn't find to make a combo shell from one piece. And the other point is: Most musicians swap their heavy combos into Heads. So i'm offering everyone this service. Maybe i will make a matching Combo Thiele Set :) Looks like there is some interest in Hardwood Combos. :)

@screamingdaisy: i thought the same. Maybe a tan handle with wicker front. Like the Mark V Limited Sapele Combos :).

@Rhoads and Sonic: Thanks. But their not ready yet :)

Stay tuned

These look fantastic!

Do you have a website or online store that you sell through??

Latest posts

Back