Santana's Mesa rig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telemaster

Reaction score
I caught a very cool Santana concert on Direct TV this past weekend, it looked like the San Francisco Filmore show that they have videos of on the Santana website.
The only amp visible on stage was the bass players rig. Carlos is known for using an older gen Mesa amp and when I saw him locally about 8 yrs ago on the FRONT ROW he was using an old Boogie 1 x 12. But the guitar amps on this DTV show were back behind the percussion along the backline. I could just barely make out a red LED light back along the wall which almost looked like a half stack. There are some videos on his site showing a half stack... So what is he using these days? His tone is spectacular with the PRS. And his pedal board, which they showed a henice close up of, is very simple....a multi button Mesa switcher, wah, and some big muff looking pink pedal I couldn't idenifty.

I saw the 2nd guitarist standing next to what looked like a dual rectifier head...he was to the right of the drums...

Ive heard carlos and his backup guitarist have used a nomad at some point

I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but, it was the ONLY part of the show I stuck around to watch at the television it was on, anyway, when Santana played on American Idol, there was an old, what looked to be Imbuya/wicker cane Mesa Mk1 1x12 and 2 matching 4x12's under it sitting at the edge of the stage with the guitar cable coming out to his guitar. I never saw any pedals or anything, since it was just for one song, he might've had them in a loop or sitting in front of the amp if he used them at all and he was not using a wireless.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but, it was the ONLY part of the show I stuck around to watch at the television it was on, anyway, when Santana played on American Idol, there was an old, what looked to be Imbuya/wicker cane Mesa Mk1 1x12 and 2 matching 4x12's under it sitting at the edge of the stage with the guitar cable coming out to his guitar. I never saw any pedals or anything, since it was just for one song, he might've had them in a loop or sitting in front of the amp if he used them at all and he was not using a wireless.

-AJH

Yeah, I caught that one too. :oops:

IF he did have a rub with Mesa, I wouldn't be surprised to see him using the new PRS amps. Has anyone heard these things?!?! WOW!!!!! Smokes any Mesa I have ever heard (and I am a die hard Mesa guy)......Beautiful too.

MrMarkIII said:
Why Google when you can just guess?
http://www.santana.com/carlos/gear.aspx

... so Mesa made the cabinets for his Dumbles?!?! :lol:

I dont mean to be rude, and I apologize for what I am about to say, but PRS amps better than any boogie????????????? Which one are u talking about the Dallas, the Original Sewell, or the Blue Sierra? Read the Vintage guitar write up, Oh yeah, the reviewer said "it beats any boogie ever made!! Please!! The Mark V alone is absolutely amazing, I repaet absolutely amazing!!!!!! not for kids. Randal Smith is a seminal figure in amp building. He is brilliant. He knows how to build real tanks that sound amazing when dialed in right. PRS are excellent amps, but your statement is ridiculous. Boogie is the real deal, just ask Paul Mccartney who can use anything in the world for a bass amp, and he uses Boogies. Oh no, my mistake he now swithced to PRS. Ok Im ready for your tirade to defend your statement, go ahead!!!!

never played a PRS amp in person but they look terrible. that paisley is probably the worst covering second to puke they could have put on those things.

Latest posts

Back