Santa Cruz music stores?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Reaction score
I'm going down to Santa Cruz this weekend can anybody recommend a couple of good music stores to check out?

Thanks!

Just got back.

I like Santa Cruz more and more every time I go there. The college town aspect can be a little annoying for me but other than that I absolutely love it down there. If I could find a job in my line of work there I would move in a heartbeat. Rogue Wave was playing at a store when we first got there and there were a bunch of small Jazz groups in cafes and restaurants. There were a ton of street musicians as well and some of them were quite good.

I got to check out Union Grove Music and Sylvan. Both were cool shops I wish I had time to check out more. Sylvan had a ton of acoustic guitars as well as some boutique style amps in the back. Heritage, Victoria, Matchless, and some Orange amps as well. Union Grove was a larger shop but it still managed to have the vibe of a smaller one. One of the guys there was playing a lap steel through a Roland micro cube. That is one cool little practice amp! Couldn't believe how big that little thing sounded.

:D

One of my highschool girlfriends went to UCSC. She said it was a blast.

My ol' lady has a microcube... I laughed at her having wanted it until I heard it. For a portable little amp it sounds pretty decent. At home, I'll still plug into my MarkIV, DR, or JMP but I couldn't ever take them to play at the park or in the car. Her friend has one too. They actually jam together with them and can get pretty loud for being on batteries.

*DOPEMAN*:

glad you like Santa Cruz. I was going to make comment like, "Don't you think there's a lot strange and weirdos walking along Pacific Garden Mall" then I see you're from SF and then thought: "*DOPEMAN* must feel at home." :lol:

A friend from New York City visit where he saw just about everything. He visited Santa Cruz Garden Mall and commented: "I thought I about saw everything, but I never saw anything like Santa Cruz Garden Mall where its all condense all in one."

All these people are acceptable and more than welcome.

I had a few issues with Union Grove's, but nothing like 90% of the salespersons at Guitar Centers. Still a nice cozy place.

Yeah, I like these smaller atmosphere boutique shop like Sylvan, and I'm sure you checked out Redwood City's Gelb's Music.

I'm surprise you did not walk two blocks from Union Grove to More's Music.

Well you know the price of living is quite expensive in Santa Cruz. uh *cough* ... what am I thinking? You live in SF where price of living is $$$$$!

I love going down to Santa Cruz, as well as, Monterey Bay in general. It's what drew me to California in the first place. I used to live in Marina, well, until I knew that I needed a better job and I wanted to avoid the finger of fog that takes over in that one location for most of the summer! HAHAHA!

I'm glad that you had a good time Dopeman. If you like visiting music stores and haven't had a chance, check out Guitar Showcase on Bascom Ave. in San Jose. They have a small museum of vintage guitars and amps. Make sure that you check it out upstairs and their back room. They are some of the nicest and most helpful guys that I have dealt with.

santa cruz is nice but costs 15 bucks for a bus round trip :)

there is King Amplification in San Jose who handwires with tag strips! :mrgreen: did I mention SF Bay Area Metal Heads export good metal and thrash to Europe?

Latest posts

Back