Safe to put 6L6 outer tubes Mark III blue stripe Simulclass

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa verde

Reaction score
Is it safe to use 6L6 as the outer tubes (class A) in Mark III Simul-class (blue stripe).
I know the manual states that EL34 should be used as there was (at that time) high failure rate using 6L6 as the class A outer tubes.
Can I use current production 6L6 tubes as the class A tubes or am I always going to have to use EL34's. I know that I can try using 6L6 but I don't want to damage anything.
Any help or advice is appreciated. (maybe someone out there has already experimented with current production 6L6 and nothing bad happened ?)

Very much safe. Just make sure the tubes are within Mesa's spec.

I have tried this on both my green and my purple. Nothing bad happened. Tonally it works pretty much exactly as you'd expect, more clarity, depth, presence, and better cleans at the expense of smoothness, crunch and drive. If you play clean and loud a lot it's worth trying.

Important safety tip:
Don't cross the streams.
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

MrMarkIII said:
Important safety tip:
Don't cross the streams.
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Total protonic reversal.

Yikes.

MrMarkIII said:
Important safety tip:
Don't cross the streams.

LOL!!! :D

Now there's one I haven't heard in a loooonnnngggg time :)

Edward

Latest posts

Back