Ryan Peake / Chad Kroeger Nickleback Tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidglander

Reaction score
Okay before the verbal abuse starts :p , I understand completely that Nickleack are not everyones cuppa tea and their attitude to the more 'commercial' side of rock music can be like nails down a blackboard to some rock fans out there, but I am a fan and love their tone on the 'All the Right Reason album.

What kind of settings should I use on my Dual Rec to get close to the sound on 'All the wrong reasons' and 'Side of a Bullet'?

Any help very much appreciated...

davidglander said:
Okay before the verbal abuse starts :p , I understand completely that Nickleack are not everyones cuppa tea and their attitude to the more 'commercial' side of rock music can be like nails down a blackboard to some rock fans out there, but I am a fan and love their tone on the 'All the Right Reason album.

What kind of settings should I use on my Dual Rec to get close to the sound on 'All the wrong reasons' and 'Side of a Bullet'?

Any help very much appreciated...

It was smart of you to preface your post :wink:

Anyway while i think Chad Kroeger is a huge hack (not playing wise because he can rip when he wants, especially on Metallica songs, more his attitude) I do think he has a great rock tone. To me it just sounds like channel 2 or 3 (depending on your recto) vintage, vacuum tubes, bass 1, mids 11, treble 1, gain 12, master 10, presence 10 and adjust output to your liking. He might also have a boost of some sort infront to get those preamp tubes cooking a little and for leads (<--- :lol: sorry couldnt help myself). Also keep in mind there are two guitar players usually doubling each other so Ryan and Chad may have different eq setting to compliment each other (one with more mids and one slightly scooped). Also there guitars and cabs play a integral part in that sound, but you should be able to get **** close with a recto and a boost.

What speakers are in your Randall 4x12? You really could benefit with a nice cab if the speakers aren't good ones. You can make a Crate GX1200 sound GREAT if you have a nice cabinet to run it into. Likewise you can make a NICE head like a Dual Rectifier sound like pure S*** if you run it into a Crate cabinet. I know that I'm not really helping you on your specific quest but, in general it's good tone advice. :)

I also enjoy the tones that Nickelback have especially on the song Animals. I think that people hate them because they're not a certain type of music. How can every band be the same kind of music? I think Nickelback is good at what they do. Plain modern hard rock with metal overtones.

mikeymike said:
What speakers are in your Randall 4x12? You really could benefit with a nice cab if the speakers aren't good ones. You can make a Crate GX1200 sound GREAT if you have a nice cabinet to run it into. Likewise you can make a NICE head like a Dual Rectifier sound like pure S*** if you run it into a Crate cabinet. I know that I'm not really helping you on your specific quest but, in general it's good tone advice. :)

I also enjoy the tones that Nickelback have especially on the song Animals. I think that people hate them because they're not a certain type of music. How can every band be the same kind of music? I think Nickelback is good at what they do. Plain modern hard rock with metal overtones.

Agree 100% on the cab.. it can make or break your entire rig.

As for Nickleback, I'm not sure if its they're not a "certain" type of music as much as it is they're really dont have anything to offer that hasnt been done. At least to me, musically they're dispensible, just another dime a dozen modern rock band. I give them a lot of credit though live... they're super tight and their guitars always sound great. Too me though there's no substance... to each his own :?

dmcguitar said:
I beleive Ryan uses EMG pickups, so that may help you out too.

i think Ryan has them in one of his Pauls but I'm pretty sure Chad uses the stock pups in his PRSi

jdurso said:
Agree 100% on the cab.. it can make or break your entire rig.

As for Nickleback, I'm not sure if its they're not a "certain" type of music as much as it is they're really dont have anything to offer that hasnt been done. At least to me, musically they're dispensible, just another dime a dozen modern rock band. I give them a lot of credit though live... they're super tight and their guitars always sound great. Too me though there's no substance... to each his own :?

Why thank you good sir for backing me up. :lol:

Yeah they don't have much substance but there are plenty of songs out there that have very little substance but still get people moving. Take those little jabs at sporting events like Let's get Ready to Rumble. They have absolutely no substance but it's still cool music to hear. I kinda see Nickelback like that. LOL well..... not entirely. I give them a little more credit. I guess that was more of an example of how even if something lacks substance it can still have a purpose or even be entertaining. That makes it okay to me. :) As long as it evokes some emotional response it's cool. Not everything can be deep.

mikeymike said:
Yeah they don't have much substance but there are plenty of songs out there that have very little substance but still get people moving. Take those little jabs at sporting events like Let's get Ready to Rumble. They have absolutely no substance but it's still cool music to hear. I kinda see Nickelback like that. LOL well..... not entirely. I give them a little more credit. I guess that was more of an example of how even if something lacks substance it can still have a purpose or even be entertaining. That makes it okay to me. :) As long as it evokes some emotional response it's cool. Not everything can be deep.

I get what you mean... i do think they write some very catchy stuff but there is just something about that whole group of modern rock bands that came up in the late 90s/early 2000s (nickleback, theory of a dead man, puddle of mudd, hoobastank, staind, etc.) that just didnt bring anything to the table for me, or at least not enough for me to get into. Now i do tend to like more epic/deep/complex/(your own description here) type music, but I'm always down for some good old rock and roll like AC/DC, Black Crowes, Aerosmith, etc. There is one thing I love that Nickleback brought us... and thats this :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvujgcbaCF8

The recorded tone on 'All the Right Reasons' is a Triple Recto --> Marshall cab --> Shure SM57 --> Apogee preamp --> Neve console, w/ minor post-EQ and compression. Per some tech off another board who worked on the album. I think I've seen them gig 2-channel Triples around then.

That said, really awesome tone!

jdurso said:
mikeymike said:

I get what you mean... i do think they write some very catchy stuff but there is just something about that whole group of modern rock bands that came up in the late 90s/early 2000s (nickleback, theory of a dead man, puddle of mudd, hoobastank, staind, etc.) that just didnt bring anything to the table for me, or at least not enough for me to get into. Now i do tend to like more epic/deep/complex/(your own description here) type music, but I'm always down for some good old rock and roll like AC/DC, Black Crowes, Aerosmith, etc. There is one thing I love that Nickleback brought us... and thats this :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvujgcbaCF8

+1 and i agree with everything you said lol. because I think/feel the exact same way

I guess I can see where people are coming from, I listen Nickleback and they are hit and miss... There last album (Dark Horse) is so uninspiring and unentertaining that I haven't listened to it since buying it. And a couple of the other albums are not much better... Except for 'All the right reasons' which is one of my faves.

I like the quote in here about the bands from the early 2000s which didn't really bring anything new. Like Staind? Now thats a band that I really love! LOL

To each his own I guess...for me, music doesn't have to 'bring anything new' so to speak... It just has to be able to entertain me and make me sing along (or pick up my guitar)..

davidglander said:
I guess I can see where people are coming from, I listen Nickleback and they are hit and miss... There last album (Dark Horse) is so uninspiring and unentertaining that I haven't listened to it since buying it. And a couple of the other albums are not much better... Except for 'All the right reasons' which is one of my faves.

I like the quote in here about the bands from the early 2000s which didn't really bring anything new. Like Staind? Now thats a band that I really love! LOL

To each his own I guess...for me, music doesn't have to 'bring anything new' so to speak... It just has to be able to entertain me and make me sing along (or pick up my guitar)..

Maybe I was a little harsh (i was in a pissy mood all last week). I did like some of stainds early stuff, but i guess what I was going at is that group of bands didnt push the genre forward. As much as I hate to say it, I think bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit pushed the heavy rock genre in a different direction, opening up what could be done in the rock scene. I'm not particularly a fan of their music but they were important one way or another to the development of rock just like Nirvana. Also in my eyes, for a time there was an artistic statement there with bands like that... a lot of new sounds, unconventional arrangements, and some very unique approaches to what we think of as a rock tune.

Those late 90s/early 2000 bands just seem to lack that artsy side that would allow them to branch their music out a little. Like i said before I'm a little biased by the music I'm into in which those artists always explore new sounds, introduce new styles or something a little more on the fringe, yet still manage to remain relevant and in some cases very popular. I dont expect every artist to do that but in a way the fact that a band like Nickleback is so uber popular and a band like Porcupine Tree is still mostly udner ground in the US makes my head spin.

jdurso said:
davidglander said:

Maybe I was a little harsh (i was in a pissy mood all last week). I did like some of stainds early stuff, but i guess what I was going at is that group of bands didnt push the genre forward. As much as I hate to say it, I think bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit pushed the heavy rock genre in a different direction, opening up what could be done in the rock scene. I'm not particularly a fan of their music but they were important one way or another to the development of rock just like Nirvana. Also in my eyes, for a time there was an artistic statement there with bands like that... a lot of new sounds, unconventional arrangements, and some very unique approaches to what we think of as a rock tune.

Those late 90s/early 2000 bands just seem to lack that artsy side that would allow them to branch their music out a little. Like i said before I'm a little biased by the music I'm into in which those artists always explore new sounds, introduce new styles or something a little more on the fringe, yet still manage to remain relevant and in some cases very popular. I dont expect every artist to do that but in a way the fact that a band like Nickleback is so uber popular and a band like Porcupine Tree is still mostly udner ground in the US makes my head spin.

PORCUPINE TREE!!! WOW. no comment. :] Do you like Pain of Salvation too? :lol:

mikeymike said:

No not a fan of Pain of Salvation. Whats wrong with Porcupine Tree? I'll play nice i promise :twisted:

jdurso said:
mikeymike said:

No not a fan of Pain of Salvation. Whats wrong with Porcupine Tree? I'll play nice i promise :twisted:

Nah i'm just being a jerk. This is totally not my thread so I will refrain from hijacking :lol:

mikeymike said:
jdurso said:
mikeymike said:

Nah i'm just being a jerk. This is totally not my thread so I will refrain from hijacking :lol:

I think your too late :?

Okay guys

I was watching a vid an saw they were using mesa traxis and 2:90 does any one have any ideas of the settings they use on this setup??

Latest posts

Back