Running separate preamp out into MIV power amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcc

Reaction score
I've been loaned an Engl preamp to check out but don't yet have a rack power amp. Isn't it possible for me to run the pre into the MIV power section? If so how is this properly done?

It is possible and it works well: Just plug the output from the ENGL preamp into the IV's Effects Return jack. The IV's EQ will still be functional too.

You can run any preamp into any power amp.
Some combinations work better than others.
I like the the MARK IV power amp better than any other I have tried.
Including the VHT stuff.
Being able to switch voices and use EQ make it very versatile.

stephen sawall said:
You can run any preamp into any power amp.
Some combinations work better than others.
I like the the MARK IV power amp better than any other I have tried.
Including the VHT stuff.
Being able to switch voices and use EQ make it very versatile.

Indeed. Thanks!

you can but it will probably just sound like a mark iv. the power section seems to be responsible for alot of the tone. at least thats what i felt when i tried an ada mp1

I use a GCX/GCP set up to loop preamps and send them to differeent power amps. This way I can use any power amp and preamp on the fly.

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

I agree ~ I have run more than a dozen preamps into it.
They all had there own thing. Like I said - best sounding power amp I ever used. I was amazed when I A/B:ed it with a bunch of other rack and power amps from other heads. I was going to buy a VHT. One of the two they make now. When I A/B the need was gone.
I never A/B with a 290 and would be interested in that.
But the truth is I have more than enough power around here.

I view buying all amps as buying a preamp and poweramp.

Tuna141 said:
It is possible and it works well: Just plug the output from the ENGL preamp into the IV's Effects Return jack. The IV's EQ will still be functional too.

Just a clarification - Which output? Line out? speaker out (surely not)? other?

When you buy a amp you get a preamp and power amp. The effects loop send is also the preamp out. The effect return is also the power amp in. Any preamp can be use with any poweramp. Some combinations work better than others. The IV also has the EQ in the power amp part of it. So it well work when you use a other preamp.

Latest posts

Back