Running Dual Rectifier without a Boost?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Long story short, I got a GREAT local deal on a 3 channel Dual Rectifier, so I jumped on it.

I'm planning to run the Rectifier with my Stiletto, both into my Traditional 4x12....thank god for stereo cabs :lol:

My question.....does anyone here actually run a Dual Rectifier WITHOUT a boost? I'm running the amp to layer under the Stiletto (my main tone that I LOVE) for a hint of that fat and deep rectifier grunt.

In your guys' opinions, is a boost necessary to get a usable metal/hard rock tone out of the amp, or will it do fine without? I don't need crazy tight out of it, but a certain clarity is still necessary. I've never run two amps before, so I'm curious how the tone stacks effect each other when I have the two VERY different sounds running together.

Why I'm asking is that I'd like to keep the rest of my rig as simple as possible...two amps is enough :lol:

Really appreciate the opinions!

Eric

I don't run a boost with mine anymore. I started off using a TS9DX, but realized it was thinning out my tone and making the distortion more fizzy. I've been happy without one, but it really depends. If you're not looking for tight as much as clarity, I think you'll be okay, but just use your ears. You'll probably know pretty quickly whether or not you'll need one, and I've heard a lot of good things about the Fulltone OCD.

i have a overdrive pedal in myset-up but really never use it . especially since i put a sovtek lps in postion 3 it has opened my amp up so much. The Sovtek and 5ar4 rectifier tubes made the amp so much fuller and well rounded that i didnt feel i need my overdrive pedal anymore. and the band i am in is a underground metal band(meaning i have no clue what genre wed be in )

my settings are

ch3 modern
presence 12-1:30
master 10:30-11
gain 3:00
bass 10-10:30
mids 10-11:00
treble 1:30-2:00

through an old peavey cab with front loaded veteran 30's

What you're describing is a similar situation to layering guitar tracks when recording. If you've got multiple guitar parts, it's often best to set them for less than maximal gain. Each signal's clarity is retained, while the combined whole provides plenty of harmonic richness overall. If you're running both amps simultaneously, you could probably do without the boost on the Recto for the same reasoning.

No boost, just straight in, sounds great. For live gigs i use and NS-2, Tuner, and Wah. I run the low Eq really far down to get more bite, i personally think that's the secret to getting the Rec's to sound good. Most of the bands i mix with Rec's have the bass up really high and they sound muddy.

I don't use a boost either.

I found that the more I played without it, my playing technique, the way I palm muted and picked, compensated and I was able to get a nice tight tone doing muted palm without a boost. This also required that I turn the distortion down You can get a tighter sound with the distortion no higher then 12 on modern, and just adjustin your picking. I do use an EQ in the loop to shape the tone a little more, but the difference in tone between having the eq and not is not drastic.

From the first time I tried a boost I hated the way it sounded with non muted chords.

Like if I wanted to hit an open D or open G, the boost just robbed me of the recto growl (or atleast the way I had it set up). It soiunded grreat for muted palm stuff, but all I had to do to get muted palm to sound tighter was to adjust my picking and palm placement, and most importants,turn the disortion down.

Also, +1 on the good pickups. That makes a huge difference

I run the MXR 6 band EQ in the loop, this gives it more clarity. I also have Dimarzio Steve's Special pickups in two of my Strats for that extra thick and chunky tone :D

I guarantee you on I'm set on pickups. These Suhr Aldrich pickups are probably the best I've EVER played.

I'll be chiming in when this rig gets put together :D

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
No boost is necessary as long as you have good pups and crank it loud !! :D

thats why i pulled 2 of the power tubes out on mine! sounds perfect at band volume.

I have a BB pre amp that I only hit once in a great while now. I finally figured out how to set ch.3 modern as a lead channel.

i always boost, but it just depends on the sound you're looking for. the recto's have more low end than is actually usable, so even losing some low end with an OD...it's nothing that can't be dialed back in. the clarity and punch that it gives, to my ear anyway, makes the recto on its own sound muffled.

i've had two rectos and now own a roadster, and i can't imagine running my rig without the OD.

I couldn't imagine using mine without a boost anymore. I always loved how it sounded before I started using an OD pedal but then one day, about six months ago, I decided to try and one and I haven't looked back since. Pretty much for the same reasons as Nitro detailed.

tonezilla said:
Hey Botch, how do you like those Bare Knuckle pickups? Pricey suckers aren't they? :shock:

Yeah, very pricey, it's a shame they're so good cos I'm gonna have to get one for my Les Paul now! It's definately worth every penny. They're high output (but not over the top), articulate and tight as hell with a warm, fat tone. I recommend these to anyone with a Rectifier! Probably not the best for bedroom players because these pickups sound at their best when the amp's loud, you really get to appreciate the tightness and fatness of the p/up when the amps at a decent volume.

Back