Running a DC-3 on half power (pulling valves)?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanslow

Reaction score
Is it possible to pull two of the EL84 valves from the power amp on a DC-3?

The only info I could find on the old internet (which doesn't give a definite answer) was here : http://archive.ampage.org/threads/0/ampdiy/006601/half_power_for_mesa_boogie_dc-3-1.html

I can fire off a call to the UK's Mesa place, but has anybody done this without any adverse effects? Need to quiten down my amp to get the sweeter tones at home use level! Possibly a cheaper option than investing in an attenuator.

Cheers

Steve

Are EL84 Calibers and Dual Calibers Class A amplifiers? That's what I want to find out!

My 1988 Mark III came with a Mesa catalog and it says that there are three Caliber models available and every one is using EL84 tubes:

22+ and 50+ were not in production then.

There's a picture of Caliber 22. You can see the text "Class A Power". So I assumed that 22 is Class A with two tubes, 38 is Class A with four tubes and 50 is class AB with four tubes. I haven't seen a Caliber 38. Does anyone know if there are Class A models of Caliber or Dual Caliber amps?. The manual states that Lonestar Special is Class A amp .

I've fired an email off now to the UK support place so will let you know what I hear. Haven't asked about "single" calibers so don't know if the info will apply directly to you, but if/when I hear back about the DC-3, will post it up here.

Latest posts

Back