Roccaforte Amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these?

Still on the quest for the perfect old marshall tone.. zeppelin, hendrix, VH, sabbath, etc.

Why don't you consider a plexi? I mean ya, roccaforte is probably pretty rad, but why bother with other makers when you can skip straight to the heart of the matter and get the amp they used? The amp with the tone you want? Sorry if this response sounds a little dumb!

musicbox said:
Why don't you consider a plexi? I mean ya, roccaforte is probably pretty rad, but why bother with other makers when you can skip straight to the heart of the matter and get the amp they used? The amp with the tone you want? Sorry if this response sounds a little dumb!

Nah it's not a dumb response, just hard to find gear like that around here that isn't ridiculously priced.

Plus the appeal of something new with better hardware and support

Try this link:

http://www.wizardamplification.com/vintage.html

I forgot another boutique amp manufacturer that has Plexi, Super Lead Marshall replicates.

I notice there are a ton of plexi copies out there.. is there one that sounds good and isn't ridiculously priced?

Anyone have personal experience with any of these?

Platypus said:
I notice there are a ton of plexi copies out there.. is there one that sounds good and isn't ridiculously priced?

No, but from what I read on a review about these Wizard, the vintage series, were dead on Marshall sounding. Even Malcom and Angus are endorsing them. BUT they are expensive.

If you are up to it, Weber has a kit of a 50 watt JTM 45 that cost under $600 if you want to put one together yourself. But from what I read, their electronic components are bit flimsy (input jacks), transformer is par on o-kay, not sure about the electrolytic capacitors ...

Do you really want to look for "economic" price Marshall replicate?

RR said:
Platypus said:

No, but from what I read on a review about these Wizard, the vintage series, were dead on Marshall sounding. Even Malcom and Angus are endorsing them. BUT they are expensive.

If you are up to it, Weber has a kit of a 50 watt JTM 45 that cost under $600 if you want to put one together yourself. But from what I read, their electronic components are bit flimsy (input jacks), transformer is par on o-kay, not sure about the electrolytic capacitors ...

Do you really want to look for "economic" price Marshall replicate?

I wouldn't say economic, but I don't want to spend like 3k like some of these clowns are charging.... I guess I'm looking for that 'sound' from early zeppelin to sabbath but has enough modern gain to drive that sound hard and get some harmonics off it.

I'd say 1500-2000 is a good range for me, however if the Roccaforte is good I wouldn't mind the 2200.

Platypus said:
I wouldn't say economic, but I don't want to spend like 3k like some of these clowns are charging.... I guess I'm looking for that 'sound' from early zeppelin to sabbath but has enough modern gain to drive that sound hard and get some harmonics off it.

I'd say 1500-2000 is a good range for me, however if the Roccaforte is good I wouldn't mind the 2200.
I could see your point but if you ever see or experience some of these guitar amp builder taking painstaking time soldering point-to-point wiring, getting the transformer manutacturer to building only a handfull of customized transformers to their specification then you add $50 per hour to build these amps, you could understand and justify these prices.

But I could see your point and I don't blame you, "Why would I buy something so expensive? Is there anyone (or amp manufacturer) that is reasonable price amp?"

That is one reason I'm looking into these Weber Kits, boutique amps are just too expensive when component wise, they're under $1000.

Good luck on your search.

RR said:
Platypus said:

I could see your point but if you ever see or experience some of these guitar amp builder taking painstaking time soldering point-to-point wiring, getting the transformer manutacturer to building only a handfull of customized transformers to their specification then you add $50 per hour to build these amps, you could understand and justify these prices.

But I could see your point and I don't blame you, "Why would I buy something so expensive? Is there anyone (or amp manufacturer) that is reasonable price amp?"

That is one reason I'm looking into these Weber Kits, boutique amps are just too expensive when component wise, they're under $1000.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks, I'm heading down to a biggish shop next week when I get some time off and I hope to play a wide variety of stuff.

voodoo amps have a '68 plexi clone called the vplex for $ 1800-1900 hundred...i thought it was awesome sounding.

RR said:
Try this link:

I forgot another boutique amp manufacturer that has Plexi, Super Lead Marshall replicates.
Bobbypols said:
voodoo amps have a '68 plexi clone called the vplex for $ 1800-1900 hundred...i thought it was awesome sounding.
Yeah, that was the amp manufacture I was looking for. Thank Bobbypols.

Hey Playypus, I hope I didn't give you impression I'm a "bulliten board troll", I know you want a good plexi clone Marshall (as much as I want one too) and I get the feeling they're not cheap. But tell me, or us how it goes when you try something out. :wink:

RR said:
RR said:
Try this link:

Bobbypols said:
Yeah, that was the amp manufacture I was looking for. Thank Bobbypols.

Hey Playypus, I hope I didn't give you impression I'm a "bulliten board troll", I know you want a good plexi clone Marshall (as much as I want one too) and I get the feeling they're not cheap. But tell me, or us how it goes when you try something out. :wink:

Nah I didn't get that impression at all, thanks for the suggestions

I have 4 early Marshall superleades with Roccaforte master volumes and they are really great amps. His amps are 1st rate and not just some kind of plexi clone. They are in the Marshall realm of things, but they sound great at low volumes and are very well crafted. A+ amps in my gradebook.

since we are at the boogie board, you might try a Stiletto - they sound great (read the manual for tweaking) and they are reasonably priced.

Profklamen said:
I have 4 early Marshall superleades with Roccaforte master volumes and they are really great amps. His amps are 1st rate and not just some kind of plexi clone. They are in the Marshall realm of things, but they sound great at low volumes and are very well crafted. A+ amps in my gradebook.

since we are at the boogie board, you might try a Stiletto - they sound great (read the manual for tweaking) and they are reasonably priced.

I actually got a Deuce at the GC blowout and returned it. The first channel is amazing but the second one had no use and it didn't really nail the tone I am after.

... and this link http://www.metroamp.com/

gulp, also pricey.
4_11_3.gif

I must admit, I am with musicbox on this one.

If it is the true tone you are looking for get the real thing.

The only way to get the tonal signature of a specific "sound like" is to use the same gear. Otherwise you might as well get a modeler (yuk) because all you will get is a close approximation anyway.

You can find those non-masters on E-bay for cheaper than you'd think sometimes. Not as many people are into playing loud enough to use them.
If you intend on getting a master installed please buy one that is already done. I would like to buy one that is still stock some day.

You might find a clone to your liking for about the same price as a used old one or cheaper, but it won't have the mojo. It might not have as many problems as the old one but it might not have exactly the same tone either. This may or may not be appealing to you but you are the one playing it. Get what you like. You can always sell it and get the real thing later.

Ultimately though tone is in your own hands. You will sound like you no matter what you play through anyway.

Latest posts

Back