Roadster vs 3 Channel Dual Rectifier sound wise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfx70

Reaction score
Is there any difference sound wise between the 3CH DR and the Roadster?
I understand one is 4 and the other is 3, but the are the gain channels sounding different? If so, in what way? Is Mesa using the same circuitry for both of these amps.
Thanks

They sound similar, but have a little different feel to them. It's hard to explain the difference in sound, because it could of just been the tube difference from my 3 channel to my buddy's Roadster, but they are very close. If buying new today, I'd buy a Roadster for the extra channel, lonestar cleans, and sweet reverb (for not much more). That being said, I'm completely happy with my 3 channel and G.A.S. hasn't taken over for the Roadster (yet...). I would love to plug my tube set into a Roadster though and see how close they are.

I a/b a combo roadster against a three channel dr head. The recto trough a 2x12 recto cab. Both cabinets loaded with V30's. With the same settings on orange and red channels I found the roadster a little thinner sounding more sizzle and less oomphh kinda.

Maby the roadster head through the same cabinet will sound beefier but all in all I think it was a pretty fair comparison.

But to be safe I'm not saying that the roadster sounded bad, the recto was simply more pleasing to my ears and I ended up buying it.

the Mesa sales guys will tell you they are voiced slightly different, but very similar. The day I went in and compared them I preferred the DR sound (and price). I also thought the DR had a little more oomph to it. If I had to do it again though, I'd probably go Roadster for the extra channel, the cleans, reverb, and sacrifice the minor difference I heard. But then I found the DR too fizzy/muddy after a while, and moved to Stiletto. Imagine that.

my roadster is different from my DR with el-34. less flobby and more tone.chan 3 and 4 are perfect for metal sounds. chan 1+2 are perfect clean channels. I think that the roadster is a little bit tighter than a dual.
I play it through 2 recto cabs and with a maxon od808 for more saturated tone.and the fx loop works!!!!!

I'd say, if you can ge the roadster, go ahead !
in fact, there are several big differences (improved things)

- Better clean channel, the tweed mode is killer
- Serial loop, this feature is a must ! especially if you are using multi fx units with line mixer.
- can switch between 50 and 100w for each channel on roadster

other features that are useless for me :
- reverb
- tuner mute out

for the first time, I can have all in one, the big recto sound for heavy riffs and great clean, great crunch (vox like) and a lead sound.

the fact is, if you just wanna play big riffs, just use few pedals in front of amp, no big rigs, just go for the DR.

Geiri said:
I a/b a combo roadster against a three channel dr head. The recto trough a 2x12 recto cab. Both cabinets loaded with V30's. With the same settings on orange and red channels I found the roadster a little thinner sounding more sizzle and less oomphh kinda.

Maby the roadster head through the same cabinet will sound beefier but all in all I think it was a pretty fair comparison.

But to be safe I'm not saying that the roadster sounded bad, the recto was simply more pleasing to my ears and I ended up buying it.

roadster combo is way inferior to the heads IMO..... i dont know what it is but the roadster combos always sounded lacking ...... i'd definitely go with the roadster over a newer TR..... the cleans and reverb alone are worth the extra $150....plus, and this is just my opinion, but the roadsters channel 3 reminds me a lot of the older 2 channel rectos

Latest posts

Back