Roadster Volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaid

Reaction score
Well there was a topic earlier comparing the dual rec and roadster volumes.

I have a roadster and tonight I took it outside(I have a few acres). I had the loop bypassed and i was running my channels 1 and 2 at about 2 Oclock on 100 watts and I wasnt going deaf...and right now my ears arent even ringing :).

I could hear the amp echoing from pretty far away.
So is the volume on a 4x12 louder at a distance than it is up close?
I was standing about 10-15 feet away.

The kicker though is that my channel 3 was set at about 10-11 oclock and my channel 4 was about 10 oclock (both on 50 watts) and they were just as loud as the clean channels.

Is this volume difference between channels normal? Im sorry for the many questiosn but when it comes to something this expensive, you kinda wanna make sure you dont have a dud.

BTW It sounded amazing at those volumes. Ive only been complaining and i forgot to say my jaw dropped at the tonal bliss :D

Sounds like fun.

The channel difference is normal, yeah. CH3 & 4 have a lot more pre-amp gain going on which means the signal going to the power tubes is a lot hotter, which in turn means the signal coming out of the power tubes is a lot hotter, too. You can get a similar effect if you turn the gain way up on CH1 & 2, I bet you would only need to go to 10 or 11 o clock to get the "old" 2 o clock volume. Obviously your tone will get dirtier, though.

Is the 4x12 louder from a distance than from up close? Sorry to poke at you, but isn't that a silly question? The closer you are, the louder it is. That's it. There may be perceived volume differences due to room reverb or high frequency "blasts" or whatever, but no... further away = quieter. Which is probably a good idea if you have the amp that loud.

If you wanna hear true tonal bliss, then get all the tubes going (is 100w the max for the Roadster?) and turn up CH4 to about 12 or 1 oclock... Also, turn that 10-15 feet into like 30.

Thanks for the answer

Yeah i played with the gain a little but i was trying to get a really clean but loud tone.

I realise the distance sounds silly but I was wondering if there is a too close situation. Is there a sweet spot at about 30 feet that im not aware of? Im still a tube and stack noob so im trying to take this all in.

Yeah i was planning on going crazy with the dirty channels tomorrow. Channel 3 on vintage at 50 watts is already amazing. And ive only used it at about 10 o clock. So im sure with 100 watts and and pushing it past 10 oclock it will sound like thunder from zeus.

koolaid said:
Thanks for the answer

Yeah i played with the gain a little but i was trying to get a really clean but loud tone.

I realise the distance sounds silly but I was wondering if there is a too close situation. Is there a sweet spot at about 30 feet that im not aware of? Im still a tube and stack noob so im trying to take this all in.

Yeah i was planning on going crazy with the dirty channels tomorrow. Channel 3 on vintage at 50 watts is already amazing. And ive only used it at about 10 o clock. So im sure with 100 watts and and pushing it past 10 oclock it will sound like thunder from zeus.

if you want a super clean tone at high volumes you going to need a clean boost infront of the amp IMO..... or...... get channels 3 and 4 setup where you want them using the output and then set the solo a few notches higher stand back about 25-30 feet and click on the solo when using the clean channel... also the distance thing all depends on the throw of your speakers.... EVs are notorious for having a huge throw thats very directional.... meaning its throwing beams of bliss instead of a more 360 type sound..... the effect farther you get the more the directional sound will be hitting your ears the right way.... this is why for bedroom or close quarters playing open backs or front vented may sound bigger

If you want clean and loud, yeah, turn the gain down and the output up. There's obviously a threshold where the power tubes will start to break up, same with your speakers, but if you fiddle with the preamp gain and output level, you should be able to find a good level where you can maintain clarity and get good volume. If you need a **** load of headroom, you might wanna think about getting 150 watt amp, like maybe an old Mark Coliseum or something. I think Soldano makes some high wattage **** too, not sure.

But yeah... there definitely is a sweet spot. What it is depends on where you are and how loud the amp is, but for sure there is one. Just experiment man... use your ears, they are your best tool. Move around as you play, and be mindful of how certain surroundings can accentuate or attenuate certain frequencies. If you're outside this will obviously happen much less and you will be getting a very huge open tone. I wish I could plug my amps in outside... the neighbours would have my balls if I did that.

Back