roadster tweaking help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdesoto

Reaction score
hey guys, just got the roadster and haven't had a TON of time to tweak it, but i'm havin a little bit of difficulty getting the tone i really want. i want a pretty high amount of gain and cut with bottom end, but i keep ending up with a metal-sounding tone or too much low end and not enough cut. any suggestions? if you think you have the tone i'm lookin for, please post your knob settings. and i don't mean to be lazy, but i have three shows this weekend and want good tone. i think i'm lookin for a foo fighters kind of tone.

Try this:

Channel 3
Vintage
Gain 3:00
Treb: 12:00
Mids: 11:00-12:00
Bass: 10:30-11:00
pres: 11:00

I've got a sample of this approx setting on my site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com on the Roadster page. I used a single coil telecaster and a really hot humbucker guitar too doing the same basic "song" so you can compare how the amp sounds.

I run channel 4 as my "classic rock" crunch on Raw with about the same EQ as above, but the gain set only about 12:00-1:00.

My "lower gain" settings are:
Ch 1 - Tweed
Gain 3:00 (with single coils) ....... 12:00 (with humbucker)
Treb, mids and bass all around noon
Pres around 11:00

Ch 2 on Brit and I push this with my Seymour Duncan pickup booster to get more drive out of this channel.

Hope this helps.

The channel 3 settings that tele_jas posted above are about where I am on my Roadster. This is also the channel I use for the Foo Fighters/Green Day tones and we do several of each.

I also use a Boss SD-1 in front of this channel for a little extra edge that I think sounds good on the Roadster. The usual drive at 0 and the level at 100 settings (tone at 12:00 for me).

I have channel 4 set up on modern and I've got a pretty good heavey tone there that I use for the Randy Rhodes/Zakk Wylde type stuff (also with the SD-1 up front).

I also use a Tube Screamer. For some reason that one sounds better than the SD-1 on channels 1 and two. Probably becuase the already have a vintage type tone to them. If you want a great AC/DC, Led Zep tone dial in the Brit mode pretty much by the book and flavor to taste. Sounds great with or with out the TS in front. With the TS I also boost the drive a little (around 12:00)

Let us know if any of this works out for you.

Let us know how this works out for you.

thanks guys, i'll be trying some settings out at practice tonight and i'll let you know how it comes out. if you want to hear the tones i was getting before the mesa check out www.myspace.com/desotojones
i was using a sunn model t reissue head thru a mesa rectifier 4x12 with a deluxe memory man

tele, ur suggestions served as a great base for me to tweak on. i got a great tone, but i think i'm takin back the combo for the head. i just can't get the fullness im gettin w/ a 4x12.

adamdesoto said:
tele, ur suggestions served as a great base for me to tweak on. i got a great tone, but i think i'm takin back the combo for the head. i just can't get the fullness im gettin w/ a 4x12.

Glad I could help out!!

If I had room for a head and cab in my car and in my house, I would have gotten that instead of the combo, but I just don't have that much room for a 1/2 stack or even a head/2x12 setup there or on some of the stages I play on. I think with a head and a cab, you can get more tonal options and different configurations with different cab setups.

Keep us up to date on what you get.

Latest posts

Back