roadster tube dilemma

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewstcyr

Reaction score
So I've had my roadster head and 4x12 recto cab almost 2 years now and I love the thing to death. I currently have been playing with electro-harmonix el34-6ca7 tubes in it and I've been doing a comparison of sound between the el34s and the orignial mesa 6l6s. If I had to choose between the two the el34s win hands down cause they just have such a warmer tone that I love but I find the bass of the el34s a little too boomy instead of the chug of the 6l6.

I've read that the kt77s are really good balance between the el34 and 6l6 but will it have as warm of a tone as my eh 6ca7??? The other tube I've thought about are JJ 6l6s. I want my el34s but with a tighter bass response. What suggestions have you tube gods???

ps I love this forum. People on here rock!

Well, here's my story on 6L6s from Mesa and SED.

I sent in two of my SEDs to get replaced because one of them was bad from the factory it seemed. I was stuck without them for two weeks. I had Mesa 6L6s in there in the meantime.

I got a new pair of SEDs and put them in yesterday, and I had to turn down the bass considerably, as the SEDs seemed to add a ton more low end to the sound. That may solve your bass problem, as the bass didn't seem boomy. It just sounded like there was more of it.

The SEDs also seem to saturate less or just differently than the Mesa tubes. The lead channel just sounded more "metal" with the Mesas.

The thing is I'm going for more of a "metal" sound so that's why I've taken interest in JJ 6l6's but I want my tubes to be as musical as the electro harmonix el34s I have in my head right now. I'm just trying to figure out what tube would be able to do that for me.

And I have cut the bass back with the el34s in but it's just the bass produced by the el34s isn't as tight as the mesa 6l6s. When I bought my head it was in between the roadster and a triple rectifier that I was going to choose between and I almost feel like I made the wrong choice cause I went with the roadster for the versatility but I really don't need versatility cause I'm always playing metal. I'm going to try and get the sound I want out of my roadster but if I can't get it I might be swapping for a triple/dual rec.

shredd6 said:
What kind of preamp tubes are you using? They make a bigger impact on sound than your 6l6s or el34s.

I put in a few sovtek 12ax7-wb preamp tubes. I've read about JJ preamp tubes and it sounds like a lot of people don't like the way they make the amp sound. I've thought about ordering a preamp tube kit from dougs tubes but I'm trying to sort out my power tube section right now.

Switching between 6l6s and el34s makes a big difference to my ears! At least with the tube I have

Hey Andrew,

don't know if you have been lurking round posts in this section very much, but Shredd has a good track record of getting folks the tone they want with his vintage tube recommendations. He's not a dealer, he's a helper. :wink: might cost less than you think, and for the amount a Mesa amp costs it's a good decision to pimp yo pre!

212Mavguy said:
Hey Andrew,

don't know if you have been lurking round posts in this section very much, but Shredd has a good track record of getting folks the tone they want with his vintage tube recommendations. He's not a dealer, he's a helper. :wink: might cost less than you think, and for the amount a Mesa amp costs it's a good decision to pimp yo pre!

after doing more reading I'm starting to think I should do the pre-amps first and then see how I feel about my power amp section. I've started having trouble with the spongy mode fading and I read about how the cause is bad pre-amp tubes in the cathode follower positions. I was thinking about getting the dougs tubes pre-amp kit but I've read some negative reviews on that kit? Shredd if you're reading this, what do you think??? I play new metal (as i lay dying, killswitch engage, bullet for my valentine, etc.)

The Roadster pre-amp tube layout is the same as the RK II V2 (per phone call to Mesa 6 or so months ago).

With that said, V5 is the FX Loop.

That's pretty close my pre-amp lineup in my Roadster Shredd, and I'm very happy so far! Only difference right now is V4 is a Mullard CV2024, V5 is an RCA 12AX7, and V6 is a Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

I've got two Matsushita's on the way, one for the PI (V6) and one to try in V2 in comparison to the Mullard ECC83.

Why the "AT" in the Loop? Less distortion of the FX signal? (I found the CV2024 to warm up the reverb just a tad).

Dom

I picked up a matched pair of NOS CV2024's from an E-Bayer for IMO a fair price. Although I can't check them myself, they both sound great in the Roadster. I may just try the other in the loop. I don't want to 'color' the loop too much, (that's why I settled on the RCA there) but I'll see how it plays out with the G-Major.

+1 for Shredd and Mavguy's advice. I recommend you start researching the Vintage tube offerings. In the long run you'll come out ahead with a stable preamp section producing great tones. Sure, I paid a little higher for my NOS RFT from KCA, but being for V1 I wanted a good tube. The rest I bought VOS or 'Slightly Used' on ebay for $20-$35 each (I did get one dud, but the vendor made good on it). The Matsushita's I just bought were only $30 for the pair. I saw some pairs for $20 as well. That's the same price (or less) than a current production Shuguang (or JJ or Tung-Sol RI), and the Mats were made on Philips equipment! I wasted more $$ on current production tubes that I don't use compared to my current NOS/VOS setup.

I absolutly love the SED =C= SV6L6GC's in my Roadster (vs. Mesa 440's, JJ 6L6's and E34L's) and recommend them. I've also read good things about the TAD 6L6's.

I play alot of Rock and Metal, with some dropped tuned stuff as well.

Good luck, ask alot of Q's, and have fun!!

Dom

thanks a lot shredd and dom. I'm definitely going to start shopping around to get this pre amp set up going in my roadster.

Latest posts

Back