Roadster & Speaker Type

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm

Reaction score
Hi peoples,

I have a Roadster head and I'm currently using a Marshall MF400A cabinet (I used to have a Mode Four head). The cabinet is rated at 400W and uses Celestion G12K-100 speakers. I've noticed that the Rectifier cabinets use Celestion Vintage 30 speakers and the cabinets are rated at 240W. With what I am using now the amp sounds a bit sterile. Is it because the amp isn't driving the speakers hard enough? What are your opinions on the Vintage 30's? I am currently think about changing my speakers over for the V30's.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao ...

I'm of the opinion of keeping brands matched, as that was the way they were designed! With that in mind, I'd go for a Mesa cab to compliment the head! There's more to a cab than the speakers it houses, and I feel Mesa builds they're amps with intentions of a Mesa cab to accentuate it! So perhaps the mis-match your hearing is not only the speakers, but the cab design!

you should try as many cabs as you can. dont just settle for Mesa cabs cause you have a Mesa head. im running my DR through a JCM 900 1960A and it sounds great.

I went with the roadster 2x12 cab because it had the most punch, low end and was the most portable of the bunch. I've never been happy with Marshall cabs, they seem to "flexy", like the wood just isn't solid enough.

rabies said:
For DR I recommend 4x12 Mesa half open back w/ 150 watt Eminence spkrs ...

A half-back 4x12 followed me home from the store just last night. :lol:

It's got the MS-12 150w in the bottom, and someone has put Celestion g12-65's up top. I'm gonna experiment with those and my EVM's to see which combination sounds best with my Roadster. I love these cabs.

This will be my third half-back cab. I sold my other two recently when I decided I was too old to be schleping around 4x12s. Big mistake.

My all EVM cab was 800w! I'm not sure you could've blew it if you tried!

rabies said:
With that open front steel grille they look intimidating as hell.

Yep

roadster_and_4x12.jpg

Thanks for all your replies. I'd love to get a Recto cab but I haven't got enough $$$ so I thought changing the speakers would be a cheaper solution - at least for the time being.

Ciao ...

Back