Roadster Pop when Switching Channels and An FX Loop Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe187

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new 2x12 Roadster. It is a phenomenal sounding amp. I have one problem though - when switching between any channel into channel 3 I get a loud pop. It is pretty bad - sounds like a capacitor firing. Anybody have the same experience? Is this a known issue?

Second question - to lazy to RTFM. I have the Loop switch on for each channel. I also have the master loop switch in "non-bypass' mode. I do get the loop inserted in the circuit as expected. However the footswitch loop button does not toggle the loop. Its always on. I am sure I am just misunderstanding how it works. Would somebody explain? Also - the loop output is much higher for channel one than for any other channel. I am overdriving my Rocktron Xpression for channel one when the other three are barely lighting it up. Is there a way to individually adjust the sends?

Thanks

Joe

I hate reading manuals too but for Mesa gear it is an essential read!

Ciao ...

Hi

1. My 1x12 Roadster pops going to channel 3 and Tuner Mute.
I think this is a known fault, well I've made it known to my Mesa dealer anyway and asked for a repair. Other Roadster owners suggest working the footswitch buttons in standby mode apparently this eases the problem.

2. Loop system - The manual can be a little bit confusing in this area because it doesn't reference the master FX Loop switch position by the title on the amp. On your 1x12 the FX loop switch (the switch adjacent to the send/return jacks) should be UP in the "Loop system in" position.

3. Footswitch loop button - I had this problem on my Roadster also and tracked the fault to my having set the FX loop switch to the wrong position. I also had a 5 pin footswitch cable instead of a 7 pin cable which didn't help my figuring it all out but was not the cause of this particular problem.

3. Loop output - Not sure whats going on here but it does sound like your FX loop is not engaged as I've explained above and the channel master controls are acting as the master volume as they should when the master FX loop switch is disengaged in the hard bypass position..
When the FX loop is set to the "Loop system in" position the Ouptput and Solo controls at the right hand front of the amp activate to become the master volume and solo boost functions. With the FX loop functioning properly the channel masters can be used for level controls.
Try not to confuse the four individual channel FX switches with the master FX Loop switch. The individual channel switches are there for convenience and allow you to do a Footswitch channel switch AND engage effects on the FX loop for the relevant channel at the same time.

A question for you, I'm looking at buying an effects unit too put in the FX Loop. I've tried a Zoom G2 in the loop and find it sucks quite a bit of tone, does the Rocktron do the same ?

cheers

Hey Para

thanks for taking the time -some great info there.

I solved the FX loop issue - I had all the channels FX switch set to on - they needed to be off. The footswitch toggles the channels.

There is a statement in the manual - yes I did go and read the manual - about the clean channel being louder into the loop - no compression for gain is the way they explain it.

The Rocktron is a very nice rack unit. I have a few pieces of Rocktron gear - a Prophesy, a Chameleon, an Intellifex, and now the Xpression. IMO the Xpression is very transparent. It adds great effects without coloring the sound at all. I highly recommend the Xpression.

The pop on channel 3 is annoying - I have a call into Mesa and will let you know what they say.

Joe

Back