Roadster Pop Problem - Any Progress?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe187

Reaction score
I have a 2x12 Roadster. I have what I would call a bad pop when hitting channel 3. I know this has been discussed a lot on this board. I have tried switching all the channels on and off a few time before playing as recommeded. It makes no difference. The pop persists, sometimes ridiculously loud.

I am never around when Mesa is open. I was wondering if anybody else contacted them about this issue?

Thanks

Joe

They'll say something along the lines of it being completely normal! Something like static buildup within the relays! The question then would be, if it were me asking, why is this issue not consistent with all owners? Is there a way to avoid this static popping? Don't drag your feet on carpet? Don't play on windy days? Inquiring minds, not mine, want to know!

Santa Anas Suck!!!!! Static like a mofo... I always cringe around those times because I seem to get lit up like crazy and I don't even drag my feet. Nothing like having your hair completely clinging to you either especially when it is down below your waist while tied up. Makes you feel like you are being attacked by your hair as if some big octopus, jellyfish or something is clinging to you totally engulfing your head, body and arms. Man do I hate that. Then there is the big blue arching sparks that make you look like the emperor from Return of the Jedi or something. I am afraid to get gas at those times. I can't touch my truck without shocking the piss out of myself. Yeah, and it does wonders for you when you are trying to play.

LOL! I doubt we'll ever get a true fix for this. Why do other tube amps not have this problem?

Ciao ...

It only happens the first time you switch right? If so, just have it on channel 3 when you switch out of standby, that's pretty much stopped the pop for me. Occasionally I'll still get a pop when I go from 3 to 1, but it's usually very quiet and nothing compared to what it would be going from 1 to 3.

Talus - unfortunately no, it happens every time I go to channel 3. It varies in strength. BTW - we don't have any static problems locally here.

It is seriously making me consider another amp. Why don't the Road king's have this problem, or do they? Do the Triple Recs or other multi-channels have it? This seems to be a design issue.

Does anybody from Mesa monitor this board?

Joe

It is a design issue, and from what I've heard a great many Mesa amps have the problem.

However, the severity of yours does not seem to be normal. Most accounts I've heard of are just a one time occurance when changing channels, not something that happens every time.

Personally I have absolutely no problems with it, don't need to cycle channels or anything like that, I just need to start it on channel 3. Even if I don't start it on channel 3 I'll only get a pop 50% of the time, and it will never happen more than once after turning the amp off standby.

A guy I know also has the problem, no matter what he does it pops on going to channel 3, but again it will only happen once after switching it off standby.

Neither my amp or his pop loud enough to make it a real issue, so if yours is doing it to the extent where you're considering something different, try a new one first and see if pops with the same severity that yours does.

There was a rumour it might have something to do with the diode or rectifier tracking, so it might be worth switching all your channels to one and then the other just to see if it makes a difference. Probably won't, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Back