Roadster or Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

najim

Reaction score
Hi to every one.in 2 days time my bank will lend me the money ,so I need some help before I mess it up,roadster or mark V?Advice priciated.Thanks

The Roadster is the way to go for heavy chugga-chugga music, the Mark V is good for pretty much everything.

SteveO said:
The Roadster is the way to go for heavy chugga-chugga music, the Mark V is good for pretty much everything.

I beg to differ i can nail anything to meshuggah to slipknot to tool to floyd **** all with the mark v.

pathos45 said:
SteveO said:

I beg to differ i can nail anything to meshuggah to slipknot to tool to floyd sh!t all with the mark v.

I agree, the MKV can get plenty heavy for those tones, but I've been a Recto player for 9+ years and nothing does drop tuned chugga chugga like a Recto.

It really depends on what you want out of the amp. I don't understand how anyone could give advise on which amp without asking a few simple questions first.

What type of music will you primarily be playing?
Are you more of a rhythm player or a lead player?
Will you be playing with a band or mostly in the bedroom?

Dom

I had the Roadster and now have the V. I loved channels 1 & 2 on the Roadster but channels 3 & 4 didn't match up to my friends older DR. I found them to be especially muddy and undefined. All DR's have that low end boom and thump but on the Roadster it was just to mushy and flubby for me - again comparing it to the tones my buddy gets out of his DR solo head.

The V is a better amp top to bottom and can cover just about anything. Others here will disagree but from my experience channel 3 needs to be cranked to band volumes before you get a good "heavy" tone. For playing chunky palm mutting metal you really need to crank this sucker and get it to open up. When played at bedroom volumes with lots of gain it sound weak and thin.

As always though it is a lot of money so make sure you take your guitar down and play both amps through a cab similar to the one you will be using and pick the one you like best.

Also try not to compare the V to tones you have in your head. Just let it do its thing and get a feel of what it does - which could have you camped out at the music store for a couple of weeks :)

Final thoughts, if you will be using the V primarily at home/playing by yourself the 10w mode is amazing. Not only is it the most versatile amp for large gigs at 90w but it is the ultimate practice/small venue amp at 10 & 45w.

pathos45 said:
SteveO said:

I beg to differ i can nail anything to meshuggah to slipknot to tool to floyd sh!t all with the mark v.

Like I said, the Mark V is good for pretty much everything. ;)

The Roadster, being of the Recto family, tends to be a bit more limited in some of the things it can do.

SO, if all the OP is interested in is chugga-chugga, the Recto family specializes in this.

na said:
Hi to every one.in 2 days time my bank will lend me the money ,so I need some help before I mess it up,roadster or mark V?Advice priciated.Thanks

What music do you play? Who has a sound you like?

You are asking this question in the Mark V forum. Obviously most of the responses with lean twards the Mark V sence thats what we chose.

I will tell you one thing. The Roadster is the ONLY amp I would use if I couldnt use a Mark V.

The Roadster and the Mark V are the 2 best amps Mesa makes at the moment. So you cant really go wrong either way.

Hendog said:
You are asking this question in the Mark V forum. Obviously most of the responses with lean twards the Mark V sence thats what we chose.

+1

he unconsiently wants a mkv and want us to support him by criticizing the roadster, but unfortunately both worth the money and sound amazing in their own ways so its not easy to say "hey dude, the xxxx sucks, get the xxxx!"..whatever you choose, will be just fine but let me tell you that if you want only metal go with the roadster (specialy if you drop tune), but if you want metal and more, go with the v (if you drop tune switch to extreme mode and you are set)

rika_gd said:
Hendog said:

+1

he unconsiently wants a mkv and want us to support him by criticizing the roadster, but unfortunately both worth the money and sound amazing in their own ways so its not easy to say "hey dude, the xxxx sucks, get the xxxx!"..whatever you choose, will be just fine but let me tell you that if you want only metal go with the roadster (specialy if you drop tune), but if you want metal and more, go with the v (if you drop tune switch to extreme mode and you are set)

I beg to differ! The Roadster has a BETTER clean channel than the V!

Hendog said:
rika_gd said:
Hendog said:

+1

LIE! Have you played that Mark V on fat? It's delicious. Lonestar clean is phenomenal and that mode is the closest I've heard to that.

Hendog said:
rika_gd said:
Hendog said:

+1

lolwut?

:lol:

beat_deadhorse.gif

spawnofthesith said:
Hendog said:
rika_gd said:

+1

lolwut?[/quote]

Thats right... :roll:

How good is the reverb?
How good is the effects loop?
Sounds like it can do the cleans but also some heavy metal with good lows?
Sounds like a killer all around amp - anything not so great?
I'm trying to decide the same - recto or M5. I mostly play from home so I think the lower wattage options would be great for me.

iceiceburg said:
How good is the reverb?
How good is the effects loop?
Sounds like it can do the cleans but also some heavy metal with good lows?
Sounds like a killer all around amp - anything not so great?
I'm trying to decide the same - recto or M5. I mostly play from home so I think the lower wattage options would be great for me.

Reverb is very good.
Effects loop is very good. (Some people have had problems with their Boss pedals, though. I don't use Boss and haven't had issues.)
The more I get to know my Mark V, the more I find I can dial in any tone I want.
Not so great? Hmmm. I think stock the amp is too trebly and bright. It needs different tubes or the right speakers to tame the high end.
If you like to solo, I say go Mark V.

Back