Roadster - New Power Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarbloke

Reaction score
Right so I've had my Roadster for about 3 months now, really really happy with it - it's a million miles more satisfying than my old Marshall DSL 50, but now I'm thinking I should get some new power tubes - I bought the amp used and the previous owner said he'd never changed the tubes in the 3 or 4 years that he had it.

Currently there are STR-440's in there, but I've read good things about the TAD 6L6GC's (which are also cheaper for a quad!).

Anyone here a fan of the TADs? Or are they cheaper for a reason lol :D

Also - is it safe to run 6L6's on the EL34 setting? Again I've read on various forums that this is the route to some pretty special tone, but if it's risky then I'd rather not screw up my tubes (or my amp!) in the process :)

Cheers!

Sean

And as long as you use tube rectifiers is it perfectly safe to run 6L6 in the EL34 setting. Did this for well over a year before doing my bias mod.

Well, if it ain't broke, you might not need to replace it. However, I won't be surprised if you prefer a new set of valves. I recommend Winged C 6L6s... 8)

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Yeah I've heard the Winged =C= 6L6's are supposed to be nice, but they're almost double the price of the TAD over here :(

I bought into everyone telling me that =C= were the be-all-end-all for power tubes. They are not even in the top 3 of all the power tubes i own.

R_ADKINS80 said:
I bought into everyone telling me that =C= were the be-all-end-all for power tubes. They are not even in the top 3 of all the power tubes i own.

Interesting to see a differing view on the Winged C's - Care to share your top three dude?

1: Electro Harmonix 6L6GC
2: TAD 6L6GC
3: JJ 6L6GC

at least that is for 6L6 anyways. I find the Electro Harmonix 6550 blows all of those away but you will need adjustable bias in order to run a COOL set of those.

I guess everyone prefers certain things. I prefer the Winged Cs over the JJs. JJs don't have the same clarity I've found...

i use Winged Cs and biased it to 40mA. to my ears these tubes are one of the best.

after research here are some of mesa tubes re-labeled.

STR-417 6V6 - TAD 6V6GT
STR-425 5881 - Sovtek 5881WXT
STR-440 6L6 - TAD 6L6GC-STR
STR-447 EL34 - Electro-Harmonix EL34
STR-450 - NOS Siemens EL34
EL84 - Electro-Harmonix EL84EH
12AX7 - Chinese
SPAX7A - Sovtek
12AT7 - Chinese
5AR4 - Shuguang 5AR4
5UG4 - Sovtek (black base) or China (brown base)
5UG4B - Electro-Harmonix 5U4GB

I got 440 and TADs and i can assure you...they aren't even close to being the same tube. Also the str447 is a sovtek, the EH EL34 has a MUCH bigger low end than the Sovtek. I have both of them as well. The current Mesa 12ax7 us a JJ.

R_ADKINS80 said:
I got 440 and TADs and i can assure you...they aren't even close to being the same tube.
+1. You can plainly see the differences in construction.

gonzald1 said:
i use Winged Cs and biased it to 40mA. to my ears these tubes are one of the best.

after research here are some of mesa tubes re-labeled.

STR-417 6V6 - TAD 6V6GT
STR-425 5881 - Sovtek 5881WXT
STR-440 6L6 - TAD 6L6GC-STR
STR-447 EL34 - Electro-Harmonix EL34
STR-450 - NOS Siemens EL34
EL84 - Electro-Harmonix EL84EH
12AX7 - Chinese
SPAX7A - Sovtek
12AT7 - Chinese
5AR4 - Shuguang 5AR4
5UG4 - Sovtek (black base) or China (brown base)
5UG4B - Electro-Harmonix 5U4GB

As mentioned, the STR-440 is not a TAD, it is a Ruby supplied Chinese.

The 12AX7 has four suppliers:
12AX7 "Chinese" - Shuguang/Penta
12AX7 "Russian" - JJ
12AX7 "Russian-1" - Sovtek
12AX7 "Russian-2" - Electro-Harmonix

Not sure where you did your research.

Dom

Well, my quad of Winged C's arrived on Saturday. I'll be popping them in tomorrow night at rehearsal to see how they compare to my old STR-440's.

Looking forward to it! :D

guitarbloke said:
Well, my quad of Winged C's arrived on Saturday. I'll be popping them in tomorrow night at rehearsal to see how they compare to my old STR-440's.

Looking forward to it! :D

Please provide an update after rehearsal. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Ok, a litle delayed but here ae my thoughts.

There was an immediate difference. I'm no audiophile, so my descriptions may be a little off, but the sound is now much more pleasing tonally. There's a bit more 'life' to the sound now, wheras the STR440's felt a little 'flat' and dull.

Bottom-end is a little bit of a problem for me as I'm having a bit of a nightmare tightening it up. I've got an MXR 10 band in my loop but haven't quite sussed how to get the sound tighter using it. It's only really a problem on the low chugging - any muted power chords using the bottom E sound a little bit 'mushy' - though that could be partly to do with my guitar (using a strat with a PAF Pro in the bridge and Texas Specials in the middle/neck)

I did find that I had to re-EQ my amp as the settings for the STR440's were no longer optimal with the Winged C, however my first impressions are that these tubes are a huge improvment in tone.

I'm not really a metal player, I prefer my 80s glam/hair rock - Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, that kinda thing - yes I know, all Marshall - but I've been so spoiled by the full-body of my Boogie that I now hate the whiney sound of a Marshall (and that's coming from a Marshall-devotee of several years!).

I'd defintely reconmmend these tubes to anyone - and I'll get them again when the time comes.

guitarbloke said:
Ok, a litle delayed but here ae my thoughts.

There was an immediate difference. I'm no audiophile, so my descriptions may be a little off, but the sound is now much more pleasing tonally. There's a bit more 'life' to the sound now, wheras the STR440's felt a little 'flat' and dull.

Bottom-end is a little bit of a problem for me as I'm having a bit of a nightmare tightening it up. I've got an MXR 10 band in my loop but haven't quite sussed how to get the sound tighter using it. It's only really a problem on the low chugging - any muted power chords using the bottom E sound a little bit 'mushy' - though that could be partly to do with my guitar (using a strat with a PAF Pro in the bridge and Texas Specials in the middle/neck)

I did find that I had to re-EQ my amp as the settings for the STR440's were no longer optimal with the Winged C, however my first impressions are that these tubes are a huge improvment in tone.

I'm not really a metal player, I prefer my 80s glam/hair rock - Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, that kinda thing - yes I know, all Marshall - but I've been so spoiled by the full-body of my Boogie that I now hate the whiney sound of a Marshall (and that's coming from a Marshall-devotee of several years!).

I'd defintely reconmmend these tubes to anyone - and I'll get them again when the time comes.

IMO, the Winged C 6L6s makes the low end a bit more "tucked" and hence a slight tighter feel is achieved...

Latest posts

Back