Roadster/Mark IV + Studio Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelg

Reaction score
I currently have a Studio Preamp, and am thinking of getting either a Roadster or a Mark IV. I like the bone crushing tones of the rectifier, but also like the old school metal tones that the Mark IV can provide. But that being said, a smooth, singing lead tone is really important to me, and I don't know if the rectifier can provide that.

So, if I get a Roadster, how will a Mark preamp sound through a Rectifier poweramp? Would it still be really loose and spongy, or would it keep its signature Mark tone? I could just use the preamp through the loop in the Roadster, and whenever I wanted to use it, I'll just hit the footswitch button.

Or, should I get a Mark IV? Is it still possible (with an EQ or overdrive or something) to get that massive bone crushing-type rhythm tones? I don't necessarily want the exact same rectifier tones, just something as massive sounding, if I'm making any sense.

Good live/gig tones are just as important to me as good bedroom tones too, as I will be playing in both sound levels. I heard the Mark IVs sound great even at low levels, but the rectifier series suck until you crank them. Is the Road King/Roadster any different?

I would add a Rectifier Recording Preamp (or even a rack V-Twin) and switch between the two with a Digital Music Corp. GCX or Axess GRX-4. That way you could add some raw dirty sounds and keep your rack setup and power amp.

nocluejimbo said:
I would add a Rectifier Recording Preamp (or even a rack V-Twin) and switch between the two with a Digital Music Corp. GCX or Axess GRX-4. That way you could add some raw dirty sounds and keep your rack setup and power amp.

I already got rid of my poweramp though :(

But, the reason why I decided to get a Mark IV/Roadster head is because I needed much more variety in my sound, and if I got a sweet distortion tone with my studio pre, the clean was terrible. I figured that if I got the Mark IV or the Roadster, I'd still be able to use the Studio pre with it whenever I wanted, too.

What are your studio settings? I can get a really nice clean and distortion tone at the same time with mine.

I also run my studio/quad into my recto and it really does sound more like Mark tones. Mesas are pretty known for the majority of the tone coming from the preamp circuit rather than the power. It has that same sweet harmonic structure and overtones, but it doesn't get all loose/huge like a recto.
rig2.jpg

MJ

I'm kinda leaning towards a Roadster, although I gotta try it out when it hits the stores near me. Hopefully it's around as good as the Mark for quieter volumes.

Here are my studio settings:
Volume: just under 8
Master: X
Treble: Around 7.5
Bass: 2.2ish
Mid: 8
Reverb: 4
Lead Drive: 2.75
Lead Master: X

I have rhythm bright on, lead fat on, and lead bright off, and my EQ is set up kinda like a W, except I raise the 750 more than the 2200. I usually change the EQ on a daily basis though, depending on my tone-mood.

Hmm, those are fairly close to my settings, except my volume and mids are lower, drive is higher (usually about 5.5-6.5).

What pickups are you using? Any effects? If you want cleans and distortion, keep the volume low but crank the master, then just match up the lead volume.

I can dial in a pretty good blackface style clean tone with the volume run lower, otherwise it will start to breakup a bit...and that's with EMGs :)

MJ

I would get a Mark IV.

the clean is better, the lead is more natural, and yeas, with an extra eq or tube screamer you can get a massive bonecrushing sound.

another plus is that you can rackmount the mark IV short chassis so you can put it in a rack together woth the studio preamp.

but the mark IV can be really bone crushing without an extra eq or ts.

there are a lot of metalbands that use mark IV's.

Back