Roadster/Mark IV + Studio Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelg

Reaction score
I currently have a Studio Preamp, and am thinking of getting either a Roadster or a Mark IV. I like the bone crushing tones of the rectifier, but also like the old school metal tones that the Mark IV can provide. But that being said, a smooth, singing lead tone is really important to me, and I don't know if the rectifier can provide that.

So, if I get a Roadster, how will a Mark preamp sound through a Rectifier poweramp? Would it still be really loose and spongy, or would it keep its signature Mark tone? I could just use the preamp through the loop in the Roadster, and whenever I wanted to use it, I'll just hit the footswitch button.

Or, should I get a Mark IV? Is it still possible (with an EQ or overdrive or something) to get that massive bone crushing-type rhythm tones? I don't necessarily want the exact same rectifier tones, just something as massive sounding, if I'm making any sense.

Good live/gig tones are just as important to me as good bedroom tones too, as I will be playing in both sound levels. I heard the Mark IVs sound great even at low levels, but the rectifier series suck until you crank them. Is the Road King/Roadster any different?

Get a MarkIV. I got one. I love old school metal. You can cut it down to 6V6s, triode, class a, tweed and be having lots of fun at home. I haven't done the 6v6s yet, but I have been getting good sounds out of the 6l6s at home. Turned up it does almost all of the Marks (obviously nothing will do IIC+ but the real deal). Smooth singing leads are in there. The only thing you will give up is the loose bottom of the recto, but that isn't such a bad thing either. The Mark IV makes bone crushing possible. I love the tight bottom and the almost percussive attack where you hear everything and nothing muds or flubs. It is a complementary sound for the recto. The Mark IV will sound better for leads too. I find the Recto more of a rhythm player's amp though the MarkIV does old school and thrash/speed well. It can get muddy and flub if dialed to but that sounds terrible even when the recto does it.

It is a divided Mesa owners camp on this decision. Play them both and see what you like. Older Metallica- Mark. Newer Metallica- DR. LOG- Mark. Disturbed- DR.

How I have heard it explained to me is that if you want Recto you gotta go recto amp or rack. If you want Mark you gotta go mark. No mixing of the two will get you either. Even the recto pre and power rack amps need each other with a special setting enabled to achieve recto. Likewise, studio pre or quad and simul poweramp for true mark. If you do anything in between it will not get either just in between.

I recommend roadstar because it is new!!! You should enjoy new technology instead of having amp from 90's!! I've been playing MK4 for almost 14years and I just bought my roadstar last week. I think MK4 is a great amp but not so versatile anymore. The sound is almost determined by gain+treble and EQ. Roadstar seems very easy to operate. Each channnel has very effective tone control plus super effective 3modes for each channel. You can play jazz to death metal with no problem. It sounds great at low volume just like MK4, but I think MK4 has less headroom at high volume. Only thing that I don't like about roadstar is its size. MK4 is heavy but small enough to fit in my bedroom. My roadstar head and 2x12 cab are so big in my room. It is not designed for bedroom use.

Latest posts

Back