Roadster inbound! Need cab suggestions please!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean106ESP

Reaction score
Hey there. So here is my deal... boogie GAS hit me hard. I am a Diezel guy but have had Boogies on and off my whole life. Just got a Mark VII and really liking it.

So I was using a Diezel rear loaded 4x12 with V30's and wow... just not feeling it with the Diezel VHX or Mark VII.

I got a brand new front loaded Diezel 4x12 with G12-100's and LOVE it. Love it with both the Diezel VHX, VH4 and Mark VII. Cuts like glass.

I sold my rear loaded cab with V30's and have budget to get a new cab. I was thinking of getting another Diezel 4x12 FR with G12-100's. But one of the folks on the Diezel forum said to be careful that certain amps like the Roadster do not mesh well with G12-100's and are voiced for V30's.

So since I am total noob at picking speakers or cabs...any suggestions? I want to stay in a 4X12 as have my man cave now and like to raise hell ;-) But is it true the Recto's are voiced for V30's. Should I get a Mesa Traditional cab with V30's? Are they not also rear loaded as well?

Thanks for reading everyone.

Attachments

• Mark VII.JPG
    Mark VII.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Mark VII.JPG
    Mark VII.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have both the Roadster head and the traditional slant 4x12 with the older 70 watt V30's. I would look at either a standard OS straight with the V30's or something different like a Marshall 1960a or b depending on what you prefer. I don't think the traditional slant cab is the best choice with my setup, seems quite dark sounding. Try it with the G12-100's first, you might like it!

Attachments

• IMG_20230311_170821096.jpg
    IMG_20230311_170821096.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 0
Roadsters i had usually worked best with not oversized cabinets 🤔

Yet at some locations the low end was uncontrollable with 4x12.. last time I had the Roadster it was working great with Recto Compact 2x12 - no boominess and still the tones were full bodied. The top end was also not so scratchy as with oversized 2x12

All the cabs were Mesa OEM V30 😁

I have both the Roadster head and the traditional slant 4x12 with the older 70 watt V30's. I would look at either a standard OS straight with the V30's or something different like a Marshall 1960a or b depending on what you prefer. I don't think the traditional slant cab is the best choice with my setup, seems quite dark sounding. Try it with the G12-100's first, you might like it!
Thanks! The beauty is I am getting the amp before the Mesa Traditional 4X12's come in stock anyway so I will be testing it to see how it performs with the G12-100's. But once again...yesterday I was talk with some local musicians and they all said that Mesa's are voiced for V30's and in particular... their own cabs with their own V30's in there.

Roadsters i had usually worked best with not oversized cabinets 🤔

Yet at some locations the low end was uncontrollable with 4x12.. last time I had the Roadster it was working great with Recto Compact 2x12 - no boominess and still the tones were full bodied. The top end was also not so scratchy as with oversized 2x12

All the cabs were Mesa OEM V30 😁
Yeah I keep reading everywhere else to combine the roadster with a traditional and no OS cab.

I had an older OS Recto slant front 412 that hat the 70W-V30. Nothing sounded good with that cabinet. Replaced the V30 with EVM12L Black Label speakers. Was amazed how good that sounds with the Roadster and works great with the JP2C. Since I rebuilt the cabinet, I had to secure the grill from the front side. The foam padding is to cut down on vibration and noise from the grill.

The other cab is more current, loaded with the 60W-V30 and sounds much better than the old cab with the 70W-V30. Same size. I got it for the RA-100 but have used it with other amps. Sounds good with the JP2C, RA-100, TC-100, Badlander, MWDR, but a bit too much low end with the Roadster. The EV speakers deliver the goods and seems to be a good match with the Roadster.

You do not need to go for the Black Label as the Classic EV speakers sound basically the same. I have not run the Roadster in some time. I should get it fired up again. Roadster is the darkest sounding amp I have in my collection. I bought it to replace the Mark V90 as that was nothing but an ice pick.

Attachments

• 20190603_200038.jpg
    20190603_200038.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190615_174045.jpg
    20190615_174045.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 0
Back