Roadster hiss

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francric

Reaction score
Hey, noob question here. How much does your Roadster or any tube amp hiss? Should it have some hiss/hum/noise on every channel, no hiss or some hiss depending on settings? I just noticed it recently and I'm not sure if it just started or it's always been there but never really noticed. I've tried swapping out pre amps but it's still there and nothing has been introduced in the area. Just thought I would throw that out. Thanks.

adding gain will always increase the noise on your amp, no matter what amp you have. however, some amps will have quieter noise than others. tubes will also have some influence on how noisy your amp is. unless there is something faulty, and the noise is unusually loud or harsh, theres nothing you can really do about it. only way to deal with it is a noise gate

EDIT: also, the amount of noise will depend on the gain structure of the channel (clean or distorted), but that is sort of obvious :p

I own a roadster head and mine is very quiet and I do not use a noise gate...or any ohter pedals on the front end. Awhile back, I did start to notice considerable hiss, but it turned out that the ground wire on my guitar was loose.

My Roadster is very quiet. Does the amp hiss with nothing plugged into the input? If not, it could be your cables, or even your guitar as scolli mentioned. If it hisses with nothing plugged in, try swapping your 12AX7 input tube ( V1 ) and see if that helps.

Dom

I have swapped out the (V1) and still have hiss. I'll try and notice if not having anything plugged in takes it away.

Nothing plugged in, still has the hiss.........any other suggestions?????

Have you tried plugging it into a different circuit (outlet) ?

Are you using a power conditioner to filter RFI / EMI ?

Any effects in the loop that could be contributing to the noise ? Does it hiss / hum with the FX loop hard bypassed ?

Post your settings, including the power section setup (channel strip).

Dom

francric said:
Nothing plugged in, still has the hiss.........any other suggestions?????

In addition to domct203's input...What is plugged in around where the amplifier is? If there's florescent lights, televisions or older CRT monitors that may effect it. Switch off what you can.

mine is very quiet on the clean channels and hums a little on the gain ch but thats normal.

Latest posts

Back