Roadster Head Grill Swap Poll

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think?

• Looks great !

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Would look better with red croc

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Put that thing back on your Deuce and go full Diamond Plate :evil:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I liked the stock grill better.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

domct203

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Swapped my Roadster's grill with the one from my Stiletto, what do you all think?

9CB4E961-AB8D-425C-8A71-39B382526206_zpsepfoqxlo.jpg

I've been getting a little concerned over the heat from the Tung Sol 6550's I've been running. I use a small clip on fan but even with that it's still way warm in there, and the fan is really just blowing the hot air into the closed headshell.

DC77D274-1D1D-4B18-952F-F385D12AE5BF_zps5xthoqfk.jpg

I like the added vents, and think the chrome vent & black croc adds a little "class".

I will eventually order one from Mesa for the Roadster (maybe with red croc), the Roadster's grill is too tall to put on the Stiletto, it hits the knobs, and I can't leave it like this:

B976E16D-ED3F-4622-B9CD-4F11E9FEA6A3_zpswt3ongfw.jpg

Dom

Wow...that looks really sweet! My Roadster has a jute front but I like the croc a lot better. The tread plate look is a little dated (my opinion). Nice job!
Btw- got a link about your mods?

Thanks guys.

As far as mods, I installed a Mansfield bias kit so I could get away from being locked into "Mesa Rated" tubes.
http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=54589

The amp has also had all the trannys changed to Mercury Magnetics & the Power Transformer is the first one made for a Roadster. I donated my original to MM for the R&D. It's been designed to handle the demands of the 6550's.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=56810

A1A35E05-EC3C-4985-A368-B70C0765F8C7_zpspj2kvlmd.jpg

I couple of months ago I sent the amp to Voodoo Amps for their standard mod. After speaking directly with Trace Davis there, we decided it would be best to custom mod the amp to work best with the transformers. I haven't yet posted about the Voodoo mods as its only been a couple of months (we play about once a week) but I will say that Trace addressed all my concerns and this amp could now kill small animals from 100 yards, all with incredible chord definition and harmonic sustain LOL.

Dom

Edit: I forgot to add that I recently swapped the two C90's in one of my 4X12's with Eminence Swamp Thangs and it really helped to smooth out the high-mids, with a very strong bottom that is NOT muddy at all. I can't wait to have 40-50 hours on them. They mix very well in an X pattern with the (very well broken in) V30's.

0DF28C96-25EA-49FE-AF0A-FDDEA53B7075_zpsfg27iuze.jpg

Thanks for the info on the speakers. I have been running a mix of V30 and C90's in my two Mesa cabs. May pickup a straight/slant cab next weekend. If I do, I will have to try the Swamp Thangs.

Latest posts

Back