Roadster Combo or Halfstack

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleMind

Reaction score
Decided myself to get the Roadster. Have about 3000 Euro to spend, which means i can afford the Combo or the Head + a relative cheap cabinet which i could replace later with a better one. Which way would you go and which cabinet would you choose.

Best regards

Head and cab.

Get the 2x12 cab and the head

or

Get a 4x12 cab and the head

The combo is very heavy. I had a Roadster combo that went up in smoke so I returned it and ordered the RKII head and 2X12 cab. Much easier to move.

Played both this past week-end and bought the Roadster head. I liked the head's sound better thru my 3/4 back cab, than the combo's 2x12 which seemed a bit bass heavy/flubby to me. YMMV. Also, the combo is HEAVY. Felt as heavy as my Heartbreaker combo.

Stay away from that combo! It's so heavy you will wind up banging it around which aint good. 4x12 and head is best. 2x12 and head is ok, a little better then the conbo and alot easier to move.

Yeah, a head and 4x12 is the ultimate. But the 4x12 is darn heavy too. Will it be worth it? Yes, if you're strong and a sonic perfectionist. You can be like Gandalf: "You have chosen the way of ... PAIN"

I just carried my Traditional 4x12 upstairs at my home. Let me tell you, I don't want to have to do that too often. It weighs 2x as much as my Marshall cabs. I would rather carry 2- 4x12 Marshall cabs and have to make 2 trips than carry that Traditional cab. Talk about heavy. There again, my little EVM loaded Mark IV short combo weighs more than a lot of 2x12 combos. I just put her back in the head enclosure last week because of the weight. I would rather carry a head and then a cabinet.

The thing is: I hate to see compromise in tone! If I could'nt afford a head and cab, I'd wait till I could! Or else, get the combo, and later add an extension cab! I would'nt though get a "great" head and match it up to some junk cab! And actually, being the combo is more $$ than the head, that would all the more justify waiting until you had the dough - nut!

Believe me-you'll hate the combo after a while if you have to move it-it's a like a big *@&#% iron block-and if you slip with it-you may need surgury. The mesa 4x12 will hurt you too, but at leaste you can bang it around a little-they only cost a grand.

Latest posts

Back