Roadster anything new over Lonestar Classic +Mini Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjj

Reaction score
Hi - This is my first post on this forum so I hope it is in the right place. I have a Lonestar Classic (v1 - Blue) and a Mini Rectifier. I purchased the Lonestar after reading alot of the posts on the Lonestar section of this message board and also listening to Andy Timmons videos. Both channels on this amp are perfect for what I wanted to get out of the amp. I also have a mini rectifier that I really enjoy, so far I have spent most of my time playing it on clean, pushed and vintage. I like to play a large range of music (everything from clean to blues (SRV), 80's hair metal, Metallica, 90's metal and also like the Killswitch sounds). A while ago I tried out the Roadster (used at Guitar center) and spent almost all of my time on channels 1 and 2 and remember really loving them. I didn't have enough time on channels 3 and 4 so I wasn't able to spend the time to get a good "metal" sound out of the amp - I also didn't have an OD pedal or good guitar at the time to use in guitar center.

I am looking at getting another amp for different sounds and I really want to get a Mesa Boogie based on my experiences with their amps, tech support, build quality, etc. I am considering a Roadster because I think I can get a used one for ~$1300 which seems like a reasonable deal. I probably will not have time to try it out and I want to get opinions if it will get me different sounds than my Lonestar and mini rectifier. A couple of other factors that might influence the decision is that I will mostly use this for recording (mic 2x12 rectifier cabinet)) and playing at "lower" volumes (master usually at 9 o'clock or below for current amps).

Another thing that I really want to get is an amp that is good for lead playing. I am also considering getting a Mark V but the price tag is too high for right now. If the Roadster doesn't have significantly different sounds then I might just wait and save up for the Mark V.

Thanks!

The Roadster is a mix of the Lonestar and a Dual Recitifier. Ch 1 and 2 are from the Lonestar, and Ch 3 and 4 are all Rectifier. If you are looking for different tones than what you already have, a Roadster would not be it.

But, it is an EXTREMELY versatile amp. It can cover just about ANY tone. I love my Roadster, and bought a DC-3 as a small combo with balls.

A Roadster would be ideal if you were looking for the LoneStar and Recto all in one amp for gigging, but since you're not gigging it'll be somewhat redundant.

That said, your LoneStar's channel 2 is essentially a Mark I lead channel. Can't you get the lead tone you're looking for out of that?

Bendo - Thanks for the inputs on the Roadster. I was hoping there would be significant enough differences to get the Roadster. $1300 seems like a great deal for all this amp has to offer but I can save that and put it towards a future Mark V.

Screamingdaisy - Thanks for the feedback on the Roadster as well. I can get amazing lead tones out of channel 2 on the lonestar but they are mostly slower longer sustain type lead tones. I am also looking for something for faster lead playing. I should probably spend some more time reading about the Mark V and hopefully I can get some time to go and play one. I am hoping that the Mark V has alot of new tones compared to the lonestar and mini rectifier. You mentioned that the lonestar ch2 is similar to the mark 1, I haven't played a mark 1 but have heard good things. Do you know if there is an appreciable difference in the "Mark 1" mode on the Mark V and the lonestar ch2? I am also hoping the Mark IIC+, Mark IV and Extreme modes are different than what I can get on my existing amps. I am really just looking for more sounds and want to buy another Mesa Boogie.

I'd recommend looking at the Royal Atlantic as a compliment to what you have which runs EL34 tubes as standard. It has great cleans, the vintage gain covers classic rock and the high gain is great for lead and metal. The gain side typically has a lot more mids than the Rectos. The built in Attenuator would be usefull if you want to crank things, but need lower volume levels.

The used price seems to currently be around what the Roadsters are going for.

Well, Lonestar + Mini Recto sounds quite similar to a Roadster. Because of the different girth / feel of 6L6s the high gain tones are not the same, but they are definitely in the same ballpark.

If you want something different you can go with a Mark V for american high gain / the most amazing leads ever or you can get a Royal Atlantic for classic brit type tones. They're both different from a Recto and also great tones.

Mjj said:
Do you know if there is an appreciable difference in the "Mark 1" mode on the Mark V and the lonestar ch2? I am also hoping the Mark IIC+, Mark IV and Extreme modes are different than what I can get on my existing amps. I am really just looking for more sounds and want to buy another Mesa Boogie.

I had the LoneStar Special, so I can't do an honest comparison between the Classic's lead channel and Mk I mode on the Mk V. What I can say is that the lead channel on the LSS has a lot of the same characteristics as the various Marks I've played, with a general bent towards the fat, sustaining lead tone.

The lead channel on the Mark V will be significantly different than that of the LSC or Mini-Recto. It is much faster tracking, more cutting and more articulate than the Mark I mode or the lead channel of my LSS.

JJ – I hadn’t even thought about the Royal Atlantic, thanks for the suggestion. I will have to spend some time researching. Unfortunately I haven’t seen one of these in guitar center.

Yellow Jacket and Screamingdaisy – Based on your descriptions, the Mark V seems to be a good fit. I just wish I could find a used one for as low as the roadster.

Thanks again for all of the feedback.

My biggest complaint with the Roadster is how dark they are. The Mini is voiced more like a standard Dual, with that nice sizzle up top that slices through everything. Roadsters are just not bright like the rest of the line, sort of like Rectoverbs. I moved from a Road King (older one) to a Roadster once--I wanted something more straight forward for live use, as well as a lighter rig--and it was pretty much a disappointment, since I got buried by the other guitarist's Triple Rec every night.

My Roadster didn't sound all that hot with all JJ preamp tubes in it. A little too dark/dull. Replacing the V1 with a TungSol woke the thing right up... to the point where I was surprised by the difference.

In fairness, it is still a darker sounding Recto but I can make it as bright as my old 2 channel. Just requires turning up the presence and pulling back the bass.

screamingdaisy said:
My Roadster didn't sound all that hot with all JJ preamp tubes in it. A little too dark/dull. Replacing the V1 with a TungSol woke the thing right up... to the point where I was surprised by the difference.

In fairness, it is still a darker sounding Recto but I can make it as bright as my old 2 channel. Just requires turning up the presence and pulling back the bass.

+1

bendo said:
screamingdaisy said:

+1

+2
TungSols in my Road King II v.2 made it sound so much better. I now love the thing...more tones than I know what to do with

BoogieMan_SC said:
bendo said:
screamingdaisy said:

+1

+2
TungSols in my Road King II v.2 made it sound so much better. I now love the thing...more tones than I know what to do with

I did the same, well in V1 there is a Tung Sol... all Mesa tubes for the rest. I am also running on EL34 power

Latest posts

Back