Roadster and Deuce

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virtu

Reaction score
Hi friends!

New to the forum.

I have the Roadster which is an awesome amp to my taste :) .
My friend and i had an argument about Roadster's lead tones. I mean don't get me wrong i can create beautiful lead tones and without a pedal in front (subjective of course). I know that rectos generally voiced mid-scooped.

But in channell 3 i think has more mids especially in vintage mode. My friend is a rock-fusion player and loves this thick full mids lead tone. After he played with my RS he told me that he is dissapointed that he couldn't find a "decent" mid-oriented lead tone. He plans to test a Deuce as he claims that this amp is more "full mid-oriented".

I never played a Deuce and i would like to tell me if someone has test the both of them about the lead gain tones the mids etc. From reviews that i read, the cleans of Deuce are not so nice like the RS (aka Lonestar!)
Sorry for the big post
many thanks

My understanding...

As a 'large generalization', the Stilettos are voiced with a emphasis on the high(er)-mids, and Rectifiers are voiced with an emphasis on the low(er)-mids.

Strat

The cleans on the Stilettos is different than the Lone Star Cleans. I wouldn't say they aren't as nice. U2 chimey cleans are very nice and the Stiletto is more geared towards the Vox type cleans IMO. I had a vintage 1965 Deluxe Reverb and to me, the Stiletto is like putting EL34's into that amp. The cleans are miles better than the Rectos or the Mark Series IMO. As for the lead sounds the Stiletto is much better than the Recto I had, I prefer it over the Lone Star I had because it tracks way quicker and doesn't get mushy. And I prefer it over the MKIV that I had for smooth creamy solo tones. The only thing you can do is go play one and let your ears be the judge. Everyone has different tastes. Good luck.

Hello!

I tend to agree with your friend on this issue. I also agree with the previous poster that each person really needs to feel out which amp is right for them. For 8 years I used a Dual Rec 3 channel with my band so I naturally thought the RKII/RS were gonna be "it" for me. Turns out after trying those and an f-series, DC, then Mark IV. I found that the leads on the Mark really do it for me, and the crunch on the DC-5 just blew me away. Can't and wont get rid of either! Still tinkering with a few things like adding a OCD, or BB preamp, but my tone has come full circle this last year.

Good luck with your search!
Mike

I just sold my Stiletto Ace and picked up a Roadster. There's no question that the Ace is a more trebly/mid amp than the Roadster but as I had just picked up a Splawn Quick Rod I decided to trade the similarly voiced Ace for something a bit different. I would generally agree with your assessments on the relative merits of the amps - I can get nice leads tones on channel 2 or 3 with the Roadster but not without a good boost in front - getting great results with a Fulltone OCD with gain off and volume maxed out. The Ace gets great lead tones on Tite gain with no boost. However...I prefer the clean tones on the Roadster (absolutely beautiful) as well as the ch...ch...chunk tones that Rectos are famous for.

Thanks friends!

I think that the RS's 3rd chanell (vintage mode) has enough mids in general. At least i don't hear mine scooped on that mode. I appreciate your responces.

I have a BB preamp and it can make the clean channel on the Stiletto sound pretty much exactly like the Tite Gain mode in channel 2. A BB or an OCD will likely give you what you're looking for with the Roadster.

Back