Roadking owner - Thinking of a change....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stueyd

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I love my Roadking. It is the most versatile amp I have EVER owned, the tone is awesome and I can't fault it except for one thing.... Jeez it's heavy!
And lugging it around to gigs is becoming a little annoying.
If.... I did the unthinkable and decide to trade it, what would be a reasonable Mesa alternative, ideally I want a combo that isn't going to break my back carrying it up stairs to the gig :D
For the music i'm playing I currently setup the king with a clean channel using 4 x 6L6's, then go for some Brit crunch with 2 x EL34's, still keeping it reasonably restrained with a bit more gain with 2 x 6L6's and for the 4th channel it's still 2 x 6L6's but with added filth for high gain craziness.
But to be honest I spend most of my time on channel 2 and 1. I do find the solo function very useful and would like to keep that functionality if possible.
Any recommendations of other Mesas to look at? A Mk V perhaps?

Actually my initial thoughts were maybe a Lone Star or Transatlantic TA-30.
Never played either of them but on paper they sound interesting. Will check out what's said about the "Electra". Thanks.

When I was considering my first Boogie purchase, it came down to the Lonestar and the Electra Dyne. I wound up choosing the Dyne. That was the single greatest amp decision I ever made. Afterwards, my father gave me his Road King 1. Awesome versatility way beyond my Dyne. Yet, I prefer my Dyne to the RK1. It just has that organic feeling that has bonded me to the amp way more than any other. And, yes, the RK is a beast to lug around. However, to keep me from boredom, I tend to alternate between amps for gigs. I can get whatever I want from both amps, tonally, but still the Dyne does it for me over the RK. I would love to see a lunchbox version of either amp. That would be about the only thing at this point that might make me consider a change.

Any Mesa combo will be heavier than your Road King head. I'd look into one of those road cases that has the telescopic handle and wheels. They resemble carry on luggage and really save your back.

I already have one of those wheeled cases. :)

It's good but it does increase the overall bulk of the head when trying to shift it around and it does add considerable weight (not far off what a Lonestar 1 x 12 combo would weigh) so I feel like a weight lifter when i'm getting this out of the boot of the car!
And then I have to go back and get the cab. Just what you want on a rainy night... :D

Oh and nearly forgot, a minor peeve, but when the head is put in or removed from the case, the padding is really good at turning the knobs and changing your settings and changing the linkage and speaker setting switches on the back.

I'm not a doctor or anything but I believe that a 100# combo is still heavier than a 67# head.
Can someone verify my math?

Authorized Boogie said:
ryjan said:
I'm not a doctor or anything but I believe that a 100# combo is still heavier than a 67# head.
Can someone verify my math?

Actually - LoneStar 1x12 = 72# RK head = 57# :D
Well, I did preface with the fact that I'm not a doctor. :lol:

The figures I have are RK Head = 21Kg and Lonestar Special 1 x 12 combo = 26Kg.
And like I mentioned earlier, once you add the hard case for the head the difference is quite small and the head being wide, I believe is just more awkward to carry :wink:

stueyd said:
If.... I did the unthinkable and decide to trade it, what would be a reasonable Mesa alternative, ideally I want a combo that isn't going to break my back carrying it up stairs to the gig :D

All Mesa Combos, with the exception of the new Recto-Verb 25's, will break your back carry it up the stairs. I like the Recto-Verb 25's a lot but they are not Road King's by any stretch of the imagination. :wink:

Actually, some older combos like Studio .22 Caliber and .50 Caliber+ were very light...you easily carry one in one hand. And while neither was a match for an actual Mark, they didn't sound half bad. I sometimes regret I sold mine...but there's only so much room for guitar gear in my house.

Does anybody know how much the cabinet weighs by itself (with the amp removed)? You could shave some weight by cutting holes and installing vents like these: http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Vents. You could have a vent on each side and one (maybe even two) on top. I doubt it would make much of a difference, but it would be a cool project (especially if you were able to buy an empty cabinet and keep the original as-is)

Are you using casters on your amp? Is it still unbearable with casters? I have a bad back so I can relate.

Or Perhaps these would help:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ASBLJI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2QPPY4XVVXBQV&coliid=I3LTDNYBLVMLHN&psc=1

People say they make a big difference altho you might need someone else to help you with it.

ryjan said:
Any Mesa combo will be heavier than your Road King head.
+1 to that!

I've checked out some combos for the same reason... holy cow... so bulky and heavy. I bought a Rect-o-verb 1x12 combo because I thought it would be easier to move around... I was wrong and it got returned within a couple weeks. haha. My Roadster head is heavy, but at least it's in an easy-to-carry sized package.

Well I checked out the Lonestar Special 1x12 combo at the weekend.
Obviously it has nowhere near the versatility of the Road King, but I was able to get some lovely sounds out of it AND despite the combo being a few Kg heavier than the head, due to the shape and size of it I found it far easier to move around than the RK head. And it's got castors! :D
Decisions, decisions... Guess I should check out the Electradyne too (if I can find one locally)

Even the casters on the combo will not help you. They are great moving on a flat surface or indoor floor. Not so great for stairs. A single handle on top only means you will be crushing the money makers and will need time to recover before flexing the phalanges. I had thought I would use my Mark IV for the roadie and keep the heavy 412 and Mark V head at home. Only to go to a tight and cramped area and a long distance the amp had to be carried vs rolled. I took the light weight approach. You could opt for a micro head and get a light weight cabinet. You would be surprised how well they sound. I was unsure I was going to like the micro amps so I took the inexpensive route and got a Carvin V3MC (which is a 50W EL84 based amp), needed some tweaking to make it sound great (nothing major, just tubes and bias setting along with speaker). Through a 412 or combined with an extension speaker sounds just as good as my Mark IV. I was considering a TA-30 but the three channels is what convinced me to give the V3 a try. Has a really sweet clean channel to boot. I am not trying to plug the V3. For light weight, go try out a mini rectifier or TA. If you need reverb use a pedal if not so equipped. A single 1x12 or 2x12 would do fine.

I am still waiting for the mini Mark (doubt that would ever happen).

Latest posts

Back