Roadking Mk 1 Problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squigs

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Long time follower of this site/first time poster.

Played a show the other night and after some last minute switch around of gear on stage the sound guy unplugged my speaker cable from the back of my Roadking. I was totally unaware, straight up on stage, flip standby switch, flick to channel 2, big opening power chord. Zap! Dead amp.

Got the amp home today and have had a good look, the first el34 valve was totally blown, this has been replaced with a new matching set, slo blo fuse also blown and replaced. At this point amp powered up, no issues. I'm getting full/normal sounds from channels 1, 3 & 4 but nothing from channel 2.

So this time I pull out the preamp 12ax7's and under the one responsible for channel 2 I find the pcb scorched/burned. The tube socket appears ok, with no scorching or burning inside the sockets.

I'm just wondering if any more knowledgable people out there than me know if this is fixable?

Hi Squigs,

Possibly a trace has been burnt open, and possibly burnt components, so you will have to examine the board closely on both sides to determine the extent of the damage. Visual inspection might not be enough, you probably want to get out your meter and check the components. I would also check your screen grid resistors for the output tubes, they often blow when an output tube fails. Sounds like you were very fortunate that the OT is OK.

Latest posts

Back