Roadking ll popping and other q-s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6stringer

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a newby here , planning to buy a RK ll on EBay.

I've read on several forums, that the Roadsters usually do this popping sound during channel switching.

Has anyone encountered such problem with the Road king ll?

My other question is that I've also seen ,that lot of owner had to bring back to the guitar store 'cos something was wrong with their RKs, and finally got another one . is it a common problem, that this complex heads usually has some little defects?

so ,is it a good idea to buy it on Ebay, where I cannot try it out?

Since I'm a student, this issues would be huge problems for me.

Thanks for your help and input in advance!

Yeah, the RKII pops, but it's not very loud. To reduce or remove it, put the amp in stand by, and cycle through all the channels, then come out of standby in ch.3. For whatever reason this seems to be the way of doing it. Sometimes it doesn't matter what channel you come out on. The popping is caused by static-electricity build up in the switching mechanism, I'm fairly sure.

The RKII isn't more susceptible to problems than any other amp. It's complex, yes, but it's very well built. As long as no one has used it improperly somewhere along it's line, then it should be fine. Make sure you read the manual before you turn this thing on, there's lots of good info. in it.

EBay should be fine, just make sure the seller has good feedback and lots of it, and make sure that he knows how to pack the amp for shipping. Make sure he takes ALL the tubes OUT of the amp before shipping it otherwise you're likely to end up with a lot of glass everywhere when you get it.

one big tip is to be sure to have the ground short cable hooked up to the speaker B output if you are only using one cab just in case a channel gets its speaker out moved to B.

thank you guys for your help.

mrd: is that pop so annoying as people complaining about it with the Roadsters? this is important for me, because it will be used at home (with a thd hotplate) ,and I've read that this relay sound has nothing to do with the output of the amp.

I'll search for some youtube test -drive videos,perhaps somewhere it can be heard.

thanks!

chemten said:
one big tip is to be sure to have the ground short cable hooked up to the speaker B output if you are only using one cab just in case a channel gets its speaker out moved to B.

thanks! I'll have time to read its manual, since I don't have any cabinets for it yet. (I'm saving the money for the head) . If all goes well , I'll buy a 212 Recto cab for it.

Latest posts

Back