Roadking II Channel 2 Settings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any secrets/tips for getting a good tone out of CH2 on the Roadking? I've tried just about every possible setting, even tried to set it to clean and put a BB preamp in front of it.

IMO the whole channel in general no matter what option I put it on, what combination of tubes, or what EQ settings..... I just get pure mud. There's just no dynamics.

I can't seem to get that really heavy/clear plam mute chunk sound out of it and there's no clarity at all in the mids and highs. When I switch from CH2 to either CH3 or CH4 it's like someone took a heavy blanket off my cabinet.

Any tips would be appreciated.

The first two modes would be very identical to your first channel, with the exception of the presence control. Even that alone gives you a slightly different flavour. But if you are using the Brit mode, crank the treble and gain, preferably at the 3 o'clock mark for both, then set the rest to taste. I've found it to be rather similar sounding to the Marshall Vintage Modern, but to me sounds better and fatter... :mrgreen:

Thanks I'll give that a whirl. It's just that so far every mode and EQ combo I've tried on CH2 seems muffled to me compared to CH 3 and CH4. It's either ice pick trebly or muffled, flabby, and muddy. Like I said it seems like someone takes a huge, thick, blanket off the amp when I go from CH2 to CH3.

I was hoping to use CH2 for my Marshall Crunch channel. Not sure if maybe I need to try different tubes for that Channel or that's just the way that channel is voiced...

I've played through many a Marshall and even had a Tonebone Hot British pedal I used for a bit to get that Marshall sound out of my old Fender which sounded better (why did I sell? ugh!). So far the RK CH2 tone doesn't even come close to that for me....

Johnny Ballgame said:
I was hoping to use CH2 for my Marshall Crunch channel. Not sure if maybe I need to try different tubes for that Channel or that's just the way that channel is voiced...

I've played through many a Marshall and even had a Tonebone Hot British pedal I used for a bit to get that Marshall sound out of my old Fender which sounded better (why did I sell? ugh!). So far the RK CH2 tone doesn't even come close to that for me....

Not sure about the RK II but on the Roadster channel 2 brit mode is very bright. Especially when you crank the treble which dumps in more gain set in the higher region of 3:00 or so. As said, treat the EQ like an old school Marschall, crank all the EQ's except for the presence and volume (set to taste) and hit it with a boost pedal if there still isn't enough gain.

Tried your suggestion (thanks again btw) but I dunno with my set up it still seems muffled.

I even set CH2 on Clean and using very little gain and placed a BB preamp in front and even after playing around with those EQ's I still couldn't get it to sound as clear as CH3 and CH4.

It's probably the way the channel is voiced or perhaps the tubes. The frequencies are just not clear no matter how I set the EQ. Oh well looks like I'll just use the BB out of CH1 loop for now unless someone has any other ideas...

Interesting. I don't get that muffled type tone you are talking about. Granted, the Brit mode seems to be one of the harder, if not the hardest, modes to dial in right, but it sounds great when you do...

+1 for hard to dial in.

Strange... I too experience the opposite of you. My Brit mode (stock) is very bright, not muffled. It definitely doesn't lack in dynamics and it will sustain for days. Add a OD, and all these characteristics increase. Something might be wrong :?

Thanks for the input. Yeah I dunno it just seems like the overall frequency range on CH3 and CH4 is much wider. Those channels both have more of that crystal clear, up front, 3 dimensional, breathing "hissss" type of sound - if you can relate to that. There's depth to it.

CH2 to me just sounds muffled/farty. I can get a nice distortion, almost the same as CH3 and CH4 but again it's like there's a blanket in front of it. Wish I could add sound clips on here somehow...

I'm thinking it's just the Presence and the way the channel is voiced.

Latest posts

Back