Roadking I and II big difference with the clean?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundpurist

Reaction score
I've tried one today...i was very impressed. Can have it for 2350$CAD it just need a new switch for a channel loop (little one is broken) if they don't change it i'll do it by myself and give 2310$ for...is this a good price? And what about the clean? I just tried the head with a costum 2X12 (eminence speakers).

The 4th channel kills with the EL34! 8)

I have never tried a Roadking 1, but i do have the Roadking II and im in love with it. Everyone i have talked to saids that channels 2 and 3 are the same on both versions but channels 1 and 2 are completely differenent. On the series 2 roadking channels one and 2 come from the lonestar amp, it is supposed to have improved cleans. The cleans really are to die for on this amp.

I would spend the extra $$ and get something not broken, and with the latest revision!

the RK 1 has good cleans. Not bad at all compared to the early dual rectos. My best advice is play it and if you like it, buy it. Whenever buying an amp however, have something in the store to compare it to so that you get a good reference. I never try just one amp when I buy something

Paul Secondino said:
the RK 1 has good cleans. Not bad at all compared to the early dual rectos. My best advice is play it and if you like it, buy it. Whenever buying an amp however, have something in the store to compare it to so that you get a good reference. I never try just one amp when I buy something

I guess you can call the RK I cleans good , if all you've used from Mesa are the Rectos...

But for me the RK I cleans absolutley suck!!!! It is a night and day difference the cleans of the RK I and RK II.

I would buy the RK II for its cleans alone (if there were no Lonestars).

JAZZGEAR said:
Paul Secondino said:

I guess you can call the RK I cleans good , if all you've used from Mesa are the Rectos...

But for me the RK I cleans absolutley suck!!!! It is a night and day difference the cleans of the RK I and RK II.

Thanks a lot man that's what i need right now, frank advises.

soundpurist said:
JAZZGEAR said:
Paul Secondino said:

I have a RK I rig . I dont think i would say the cleans suck . I use 4 6L6s with tweed mode in channel 1 and clean mode with 2 EL34s in channel 2 . I feel you would be in good hand with either of those amps (I or II) . I assure you there are plenty of sweet clean sounds in RK I . Experiment my friend . Trust your own ears .

Barry said:
soundpurist said:
JAZZGEAR said:

I have a RK I rig . I dont think i would say the cleans suck . I use 4 6L6s with tweed mode in channel 1 and clean mode with 2 EL34s in channel 2 . I feel you would be in good hand with either of those amps (I or II) . I assure you there are plenty of sweet clean sounds in RK I . Experiment my friend . Trust your own ears .

If $$s is not an issue, I guarantee you will not like the RK I cleans once you play the RK II.... Oh, and let's not forget the Reverb on the RK I is not in the same class as the RK II....the reverb on the RK II is lush.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

JAZZGEAR said:
Barry said:
soundpurist said:

If $$s is not an issue, I guarantee you will not like the RK I cleans once you play the RK II.... Oh, and let's not forget the Reverb on the RK I is not in the same class as the RK II....the reverb on the RK II is lush.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You may well like I over II but as I said before, trust your own ears . I assure you RK I is a nice amp . I have two ears on my head . Maybe some people dont know how to tweak version I ?

the only thing is all i can do is trying the amp at low volume or a little loud in a 2X12 cabinet. I would like to ear the clean on a 4X12 a little louder to see what the roadking (I) can do.

It's not fair, here in montreal the store never keep a roadking II in the store, they're was one last week before and it gone in 2 days and I never knew it was there.

So that's what happened, i've tried the all channels, the clean was not too bad but i liked the 4th channel with 2XEL34's.

Sometime i'm thinking i can do a compromise and order a costum roadster(just having 6L6 is not a big deal) but if after i see a good deal on used roadking II maybe i will regret it...i'm not sure :roll:

The main thing is: I want a good clean, a slave output for my wet section and a very good DISTORTION.

I've noticed that not a rectifier sound the same (with little difference of course but i can hear it). Today i played on my recto pre, 2:100 and i was thinking about that...i realised that for playing power chords the recto pre, 2:100 is the most brutal but with this setting(low gain, high master volume) the solo section is not looking good (it can do it but have to change the setting the solo is coming :? )

I found the sound different on the roadking i tried but i liked what I've heard. I don't think it's a very old amp but the distortion remind me the 2 channels rectifier?!??!! just the kind of distortion i'd like to play as much for rhythm as for the solos! Very nice amp but i'm a perfectionist a want the most perfect clean i can have to compliment my costum stratocaster.

I still love my recto pre but i need something thats worth the selling of it, that's why i'm in between a new roadster or a monster roadking! :twisted:

Gotta try this with my BillLawrence's pickups cause i've heard hum in the distortion on the RK(i will need an ISPdecimator ProrackG with it), thing that i don't have with my recto pre (i'm still thinking it's my recto pre cause i played with too many guitars in it and it's dead silent!)

I don't disagree with you Barry, of course you have to trust your own ears....

However, one would feel like real crap spending nearly the same $$$ for a RK I...then later have a chance to play the RK II.

There's no disputing the RK II cleans are vastly superior to that of the RK I -- heck even Mesa Boogie says it.

Everyone that I know that has played both agrees the RK II is the way to go in the cleans dept.

I am not trying to flame current RK I owners. If you like the sound of the amp, that is all that matters.

soundpurist said:
but i'm a perfectionist a want the most perfect clean i can have to compliment my costum stratocaster.

With the above said...IMHO don't waste your time on the RK I....my recommendation would be to buy the Roadster or be patient and wait on the RK II.

If you do buy the RK II, you will come back here and thank me you didn't buy the RK I

soundpurist said:
but i'm a perfectionist a want the most perfect clean i can have to compliment my costum stratocaster.

JAZZGEAR said:
With the above said...IMHO don't waste your time on the RK I....my recommendation would be to buy the Roadster or be patient and wait on the RK II.

If you do buy the RK II, you will come back here and thank me you didn't buy the RK I

:lol: yes i believe you, i don't know why but i feel you're a little bit like me, exigent, but when you have quality between your hands you're thankful.

soundpurist said:
soundpurist said:

JAZZGEAR said:

:lol: yes i believe you, i don't know why but i feel you're a little bit like me, exigent, but when you have quality between your hands you're thankful.

Good luck in what ever you decide . Mesa is always striving to improve their amps with lots of R&D . I have to chime in again about the RKI . To say the cleans in that amp suck is absurd . Its a bit over the top to think they put that much R&D in that amp just to come with clean channels that suck . Im not saying this because i own one but i have more faith in their R&D than that . Trust your ears and take your time . You'll find what you are after .

I agree, the RKI cleans are not quite as good as the RKII cleans. However, that doesn't make the RKI cleans total crap, they're still pretty **** good & usable. I don't use my RK's for cleans, I got them strictly for chugging & hi gain. I A/B switch my MKIV in for the cleans & leads.

Kinda funny, John Petrucci played RKI's for a while and his cleans were freakin' incredible.

I bought a RKI and my friend has a RKII. Are his cleans better?...eh...somewhat. Are they $500 better? No. Not in mine or his opinion. Reverb is the same thing. We both feel that way. If you can score a RKI at a good price (mine was new at under 2K) it is a no brainer. I play in a cover band that does a seriously wide variety of music. We do everything from Simon and Garfunkel, to Megadeth and there really isn't a single sound I can't get from this thing. The *only* thing I wish my RKI had is the tuner out option that the RKII has. But again, it isn't worth $500 to me.

A lot of stores are trying to move the RKIs in order to get the RKIIs and they are willing to deal. Take advantage of this and grab a RKI.

I am fortunate enough to have a stash of wonderful NOS tubes. Once I changed my tubes, my RKI clean sounded every bit as good and on channel 2 much better, than my friends RKII. I run a combination a Mullards, and Teslas (not JJ) in the preamp and Mullards for my EL34s and Phillips 7581As in the 6l6 section. The Phillips have *enormous* friggin headroom, and a massive low end whollop that really shines on the clean channels. The new Russian and Chinese tubes sound great on the gain channels but fall flat on their faces when used clean. They just don't have the dynamics and lush midrange of the NOS tubes. But even before the switch, the amps ran side by side with very little difference.

But what do I know...LOL!! I have only been a gigging musician for 20+ years. LOL!!

Not everyone likes the same thing. Don't think it would be impossible to like different cleans from someone else. Some people like Vox cleans, some Fender, and yeah, some people even like Marshall cleans. There is no such thing as "the best" tone. There is what you want, and other than what you want.

Play it for yourself to decide whether you think something's really improved or not, however, I do agree with the folks who are saying never just try one amp and buy it, it's better to play something you're familiar with to kinda reset your palate if you will.

Back