Roadking and IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman3000

Reaction score
(I think a setup with my trusty C+ and a good Recto would do the sh**!)Do you think that the Roadking can replicate C+' lead tone? How close? :roll:

Obviously, Petrucci thinks it can. Come to think of it, he has his best sound (lead and otherwise) these days, with minimum of rig. I've never heard anything like it, especially as witnessed on 'Live At Budokan'. The overal sound on that DVD is unbelievable though (mind you, you're gonna need a solid stereo hi-fi system to get the hang of it).

Dersu Uzala said:
Obviously, Petrucci thinks it can. Come to think of it, he has his best sound (lead and otherwise) these days, with minimum of rig. I've never heard anything like it, especially as witnessed on 'Live At Budokan'. The overal sound on that DVD is unbelievable though (mind you, you're gonna need a solid stereo hi-fi system to get the hang of it).

The rig on the Dream Theater shows is by no means 'minimum.' That featured his full 3 RK/2 LS rack. He only used the stripped down "RK and pedals" rig on G3 and at his clinics.

nocluejimbo said:
Dersu Uzala said:

The rig on the Dream Theater shows is by no means 'minimum.' That featured his full 3 RK/2 LS rack. He only used the stripped down "RK and pedals" rig on G3 and at his clinics.

It was not meant literally like that. The signal chain was kept to the bare minimum comparing to older setups. 2 LS are used for cleans and 2 RK for rhythm/lead work (third one is just a spare). Other than that signal goes through very few things at any given time . Most impressive given larger than life sound.

Take away 3 RKs and I've seen a bunch of guys on this forum with a bigger rig.

P.S. There's a couple of goodies in the 2 LS rack as well.

tot_rig_front_closeup.jpg

Come on man, ya know JP is gonna be as close as you are gonna get :p I would imagine that with the right fx and guitar/pickups, you could get it sounding decent. I tend to prefer JP's current rhythm tone and older lead tone though. But that's not saying his current lead tone is bad, at least not IMO.

MJ

snowman3000 said:
Any clips of a Roadking doing C+ lead tone?
Yeah I want to hear that too, that is the tone I have really been wanting to get with no success.And after hearing Petrucci live with his RK I don't think I will.

Latest posts

Back